Sign in with
Your question

5870 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2009 1:41:24 AM

just got a diamond 5870 vid card to relpace my 8800 gtx. when i installed the 5870 i couldn't get pc to boot with the card in either of the 2 PCI-E 16x slots. the pc would only boot with the card in the 8x PCI-E slot. My only real concern is that the 8x slot is causing a bottleneck with the 5870. I'm away from the machine right now so i don't recall the exact model of my mobo but i think its a ASUS P5N32-E SLI. i just discovered this today before i came to work so i haven't really had a chance to look into to it too deeply so maybe i'll fix it on my own when i get home but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on here ahead of time. here are my specs off the top of my head: -Asus p5n32-e sli mobo (i think) -Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 Ghz - 4Gb DDR2 800 -WD 640Gb HDD sata - Win 7 home prem. 64-bit -Diamond ATI 5870 1024Mb GPU Thanks Andrew

More about : 5870 problem

November 20, 2009 1:17:16 PM

Hey man have you considered updating your mobo's BIOS? It's been quite a long time since the board's been released. I'll provide you with a site to find all new highly win7 anticipated drivers regarding all hardware modules.

http://www.radarsync.com/drivers/
You can search for anything man.
Also of course be keen to check on official Bios and Driver releases from Asus in the official webpage. I also wanted to ask you how high u gan get Q6600 on ur board.
November 20, 2009 1:37:17 PM

orestakis said:
Hey man have you considered updating your mobo's BIOS? It's been quite a long time since the board's been released. I'll provide you with a site to find all new highly win7 anticipated drivers regarding all hardware modules.

http://www.radarsync.com/drivers/
You can search for anything man.
Also of course be keen to check on official Bios and Driver releases from Asus in the official webpage. I also wanted to ask you how high u gan get Q6600 on ur board.

He has a q9550, not a q6600.. And don't post spammy links to sites one can google for.. If you want to link him to a bios, try it like this:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

Search for your motherboard, bos 1801 is the latest.

Anyway.. Definitely try to update the bios, and reset the CMOS. There is no reason it woudl not work in one slot instead of teh other unless sometihng is changed in the bios (reset cmos to get back to default), or the slot is broken.
Related resources
November 21, 2009 11:21:06 AM

daedalus685 said:
He has a q9550, not a q6600.. And don't post spammy links to sites one can google for.. If you want to link him to a bios, try it like this:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

Search for your motherboard, bos 1801 is the latest.

Anyway.. Definitely try to update the bios, and reset the CMOS. There is no reason it woudl not work in one slot instead of teh other unless sometihng is changed in the bios (reset cmos to get back to default), or the slot is broken.

If you, my friend, think that, posting links to websites that contain desirable hence appropriate content regarding this topic which may also accelerate the discovery of the issue here, is spamming, I'm afraid you are stupid.
November 21, 2009 3:52:17 PM

orestakis said:
If you, my friend, think that, posting links to websites that contain desirable hence appropriate content regarding this topic which may also accelerate the discovery of the issue here, is spamming, I'm afraid you are stupid.

What you did was akin to linking to Google, if Google was full of ads.

Sorry son, but that is spam. The OP can search on a search engine himself if he wants. Either link to the supplier site where he can directly get the drivers from the horses mouth, or tell him to get it, with no links. If they didn't know which bios version to get on Google, why would a less thorough search engine help?

You can mask your link bombing by calling me stupid all you want..At best you come off as unhelpful, at worst it comes off as you having a vested interest in getting a private site hits.
November 22, 2009 7:19:35 PM

daedalus685 said:
What you did was akin to linking to Google, if Google was full of ads.

Sorry son, but that is spam. The OP can search on a search engine himself if he wants. Either link to the supplier site where he can directly get the drivers from the horses mouth, or tell him to get it, with no links. If they didn't know which bios version to get on Google, why would a less thorough search engine help?

You can mask your link bombing by calling me stupid all you want..At best you come off as unhelpful, at worst it comes off as you having a vested interest in getting a private site hits.

I bet u spent more than 20 minutes thinking what to write back:p . no man I'm just kidding. all i wanted was to help. Anyway i appreciate your advice. Thanks.
December 3, 2009 4:42:47 AM

I have the same motherboard as you and I just got my HIS 5870 yesterday. Put it in my first 16x PCI-E slot and it didn't seem to post. Rebooted a few times but still nothing. Then as I was holding the power button down to shut it down, I saw my post screen flash just before it turned off. Started it up again and decided to wait. Lo and behold, the thing does post but for some reason you will be greeted by a blank screen for like a min before the system finally starts up. Works fine after that though.

Tried googling for an explanation and found one other such forum post describing exactly the same behavior. No solution given. Weird but at least it works. Not good if you're in a hurry though. Also kinda defeats the purpose of having a fast SSD drive to boot win7 from :( 
!