Computer keeps crapping out during games

Last response: in Components
January 4, 2010 4:53:49 AM

4 GB GSkill DDR3
XFX HD 4890XT
X2 550 3.1 GHZ unlocked to X4
HAF932 gaming case
an old raptor HD + 750GB western digital HD

is this too much hardware for a 550w corsair psu? Computer keeps stressing hard during videos games and then just turning off like you unplugged the power switch, sometimes I wont be able to restart it for a while without unplugging it and plugging it back in, any thoughts on this? How big a PSU you think I need?
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2010 9:11:34 AM

^ Corsair 550VX should be fine for that config...I feel the temps are the issue here...
Check the CPU and GPU temps before and during gaming...
January 4, 2010 10:15:09 AM

OK is your Monitor Shutting Off when playing games? And then you have to force shut down the PC?
If that's the case, then your graphic card is the problem...
Had the same problem.

Small Summary: Some brands make some mistakes when manufacturing some serries of graphic cards, in your case 4890XT, so your computer Overheats and VGA doesnt give any signal to the monitor.
No cooling can help in this matter, you have to replace your graphic card :) 
****IF You're having the problem stated above****

And alot of people have this same problem :S i saw another guy with an XFX4870 problem.
So XFX must have made some misatke when producing the 48xx serries

Cheers
Related resources
January 4, 2010 12:52:24 PM

traxix said:
OK is your Monitor Shutting Off when playing games? And then you have to force shut down the PC?
Had the same problem.

Small Summary: Some brands make some mistakes when manufacturing some serries of graphic cards, in your case 4890XT, so your computer Overheats and VGA doesnt give any signal to the monitor.

And alot of people have this same problem :S i saw another guy with an XFX4870 problem.

Cheers

No not losing video, the entire computer shutting off, everything turning off the fans the monitor, the computer everything off. No force restart, off like there was a power outage.
January 4, 2010 12:54:22 PM

gkay09 said:
^ Corsair 550VX should be fine for that config...I feel the temps are the issue here...
Check the CPU and GPU temps before and during gaming...

How do I go about checking the temps?
January 5, 2010 1:20:09 AM

Whats our motherboard? sounds like me when i had a cheap motherboard with an overclocked cpu...system would just randomly turn off during prime95. what is your motherboard and brand? and whats its supported cpu wattage?
January 5, 2010 1:37:48 AM

Motherboard or your unlocked cpu is causing the system to shut off... reimage,max out your ram, download all new drivers(motherboard, OS, GPU). What cooler do you use for your CPU?
a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2010 6:53:48 AM

^ nice point...
Did you test the unlocked CPU with Prime 95 for stablility ?
If NO, then do that first...
January 5, 2010 7:50:38 AM

agree, run stability test
you could also test ram

i had an old mobo that did that shut right off - it started occasionally and became more frequent over a few months - it was the capacitors on the mobo - one day it would not run any more - had brown goo oozing out of several caps.
a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2010 12:53:12 PM

yeah ive had countless (about 4) motherboards with bad caps!
January 5, 2010 12:57:16 PM

traxix said:
Had the same problem.

Cheers
This is a not a problem with the 4870 or 4890 directly as much as it is an over heat problem...the OP just needs to enable manual fan settings in the Catalyst Control Center and up the fan speed to at least 80% before starting a game and my guess would be that the quick shut down issues will go away...leaving the fan running at stock speeds while heavy gaming or letting the driver auto adjust the fan speed was causing my machine to shut down in the middle of a gaming session and manually adjusting the fan speed fixed the problem...

a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2010 1:10:01 PM

i agree
January 5, 2010 1:22:28 PM

My guess is it could be the CPU. As you've unlocked the other 2 cores to get extra out of your rig. One of the two unlocked cores could be causing the problem. Put the CPU back to just using the 2 normal cores and see what happens.
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 5, 2010 1:31:11 PM

chunkymonster said:
This is a not a problem with the 4870 or 4890 directly as much as it is an over heat problem...the OP just needs to enable manual fan settings in the Catalyst Control Center and up the fan speed to at least 80% before starting a game and my guess would be that the quick shut down issues will go away...leaving the fan running at stock speeds while heavy gaming or letting the driver auto adjust the fan speed was causing my machine to shut down in the middle of a gaming session and manually adjusting the fan speed fixed the problem...

That's pretty much traxix standard response, doesn't matter if it's ATI, Nvidia, onboard or discrete, if there's a problem it must be the video.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tom...|28*tomshardwareus|&orderSearch=0&recherches=1&resSearch=200&jour=0&mois=0&annee=0&titre=3&search=&pseud=traxix&daterange=2&searchtype=1&searchall=1
January 5, 2010 1:57:13 PM

delluser1 said:
That's pretty much traxix standard response, doesn't matter if it's ATI, Nvidia, onboard or discrete, if there's a problem it must be the video.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tom...|28*tomshardwareus|&orderSearch=0&recherches=1&resSearch=200&jour=0&mois=0&annee=0&titre=3&search=&pseud=traxix&daterange=2&searchtype=1&searchall=1

What is it they say about a broken clock?

Anyway.. before you go replacing things etc. run some stress tests for the Memory and CPU. It is entirely possible the core you unlocked is causing issues (taking more power than it should, not being stable at full load, etc etc)

Are you running vista or seven? If the video card is overheating you should at least some of the time see a TDR error in the event viewer. Generally a hard crash is due to the CPU, memory, or power failing as a modern OS can recover (or at least BSOD) from just about anything else. Could be from heat, could be from a bad component in the MB.

If I were to guess I would say that the issue is with the heat on the CPU getting too high (due to the extra core working improperly or not) causing it to shut off in order to not cook. Though that is just a guess, almost as likely there is something wrong with the PSU.
!