Where do I buy clamps? And how do I know tubing size?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Where do I buy clamps for swiftech 3/8 barb fitting? How do I know the size? Apparently its 1/2 even tough the barb is not 1/2.

Well, the truth is, I DO NOT HAVE THE LARGE FITTING/TUBBING, mine is the smaller one.

Im going crazy at frozen cpu, I cant find the pordutc Im looking for

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

Oh my, and how do I know that? What I can say is that when I bouth a MCRdrive from swiftech, it came with 2 diferent fittings and barbs, a very large one and a smaller one. The smaller one fit my tubing perfectly. Its the tubing included with the very first Zalman Reserator (blue pvc)

If this gets too complicted, I might very well get 2 new compresion fittings

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Just make a measurement across the inside of the tubing- you'll want fittings/barbs that fit this. It's also pretty easy to find via the barb that fits- the opening of the barb is a tad smaller than the ID of the tubing. I don't know what size the Reserator tubing would be...I would guess 3/8"ID or 7/16"ID. I doubt it's 1/2"ID.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

Thanks for helping me with watercooling problems again, rubix. This is the fitting I need clamps for:

http://www.xoxide.com/g1-4-to-3-8bfit.html

I may also get a compression fitting (I actually think they are cool, so would be a welcome purchase)

Is this the right one?

http://www.xoxide.com/xspc-g14to38ld28-odcompressionfitting-chrome.html

I know for sure the fitting for the tubing is 3/8, so is the tubing OD 5/8?

G

To make things simple, you really have to know the ID (inside diameter) as well as the OD (outside diameter) of the tube. The OD even is less of a concern now as most tube now comes in same thickness. If you go with a 3/8 ID tubing then its OD is almost always 1/2.

If you go with barb fittings then the OD is less important.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

I measured the tube. The ID is 8mm. The OD is 12mm. I can go either compression of barb, I dont care wich.

I happen to already have a 3/8 barb, wich fits my tube perfectly, but I dont have the clamps. So I need either a Clamp for a 12mm OD tube or a compression fitting for a 8mm/12mm tube.

But no store shows the measurement in mm, so Im screwed.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
well, the important is that the tubin walls are 2mm, and I know that a 3/8 (10mm) fits the tube perfectly (wich is ID 8mm, stretching it a little bit.)

So adding the 2mm for the wall around the 3/8 10mm, that will give me a 14mm OD. If the compression is 1/2 (13mm) it will certainly put some pressure on the tubing, Its my believe it will secure it very well. The truth is that with the streching, the 2mm wall may reduce a little to 1,5mm, making the nozzle ID 3/8 OD 1/2 a perfect fitting. Ima gonna buy and see..

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I think this is becoming far more complicated than it should be. My experience from many forum threads is not to mix metric/standard watercooling components, including tubing and fittings.

You'll often end up with those 'just don't quite fit' situations.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
whats the diference between nozzle and fitting? I noticed that when tis compression, its called compression nozzle, and when its clamp, its called barb fitting, but its the same piece.

anyways, Im getting both a compression nozzle and a 3/8 clamp. One or the other has to work.