New half system build, advice really appricated. Thankyou

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Hello everyone, i recently got back into gaming after a long break and so decided that i needed to slowly upgrade my computer to make games playable, but ive ran into the whole motherboard not supporting duel core and me only having a single core barrier and so i decided that i need to upgrade a bit.

After upgrading a bit here are my current specs.

Dell optiplex GX280 small desktop computer

Pentium 4 processor 2.88GHZ hyperthreading.
3gig DDR2 ram
80gig SATA hardrive
Radeon HD 4650 512mb DD2 320 core processors (low profile and pci-express)
210watt psu :(
Duel desktop with a: Hp w1907v 19inch widescreen 1440x900 and a samsung syncmaster 192n 4:3 aspect ratio 1280x1024.

I decided that the parts that im going to have to upgrade are the psu ( cos mine is tiny ) new motherboard and duel core processor, and a new cool case. I'm going to a computer to buy it i thinik within the next to weeks and am going to have a budget of about £160. I think its possible beaause the place that i am going to is really really cheap ( my friend bought a 19inch TFT monitor for there for only £35)

My question to anyone who is willing to give me advice is what processor should i get, intel or AMD and are there any suggests as to what psu and case and motherboard i should look out for when at the fair.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions that are given.

Adam

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

my suggestion for mb and cpu is any amd 780G and above chipset and a Phenom II X2 5xx cpu.