Solved

5770 or 5850

I know i'll get mixed reponse as to which one to choose, and that's exactly what i want.

So my main dilemma is this: there's this monitor that i want. It's 28" with 1920x1200 resolution. To get that while staying on budget, i have to drop down from a 5850 to a 5770. I know the 58 would support this monitor better, but i really want to avoid going over budget.

now here's a few more info. The only guaranteed game i play is CS source and halo2. Of course, this doesn't mean i won't play other games. I would be buying other titles too (but won't be buying 10 games at a time. Maybe 2-3 titles by this year) i play mostly fps games, so COD is almost sure. Not into horror, so no re5 and l4d. I like gta too, so thats a maybe. Crysis is an fps too? So that's also a maybe but not for certain.

Now if i do get the 5850, to stay within budget, i drop down to a 24" 1920x1080 monitor. Which is totally fine for me. It's just that the 28" was such a good deal i don't want to pass up on it.

of course in about a year, i'll have the money to buy new cards. So i can either crossfire what i have' or buy whatever new one comes out.

So what do you suggest?
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5770 5850
  1. 24" + 5850. but thats just me personally.

Whats the rest of your system?

FYI either of the cards will be in the multiple hundred FPS range on CS:S and Halo 2
  2. ^+1... 5850 + 24"
    For the 1080p/ 1920X1200 resolution, the HD 5850 is more suited...And for FPS games, you will need the power of the 5850 for better visuals and fps...
  3. Just wait a little prices will go down sooner or later

OR

Use a price comparison site, an internet page that lists all avalible stores prices for that product

Or both wait a little for prices to go down and then use a price comparison site to get the best deal

And eat pie

Always eat pie
  4. 5770 is more suited for monitor such as 1680x1050 or even 1280x1024 b'cos it will definitely have trouble running crysis on full.
    5770=4870
    5850=GTX285
    so really, what's your aim of resolution? (High, medium, low)
  5. Basics of the rest of the system;

i5-750
    gigabyte mobo
    4gb ram
    750 psu

I know that both are overkill for cs source and halo2. I'm sure even the 5750 would suffice. It's just that, can the 5770 handle 1920x1200 decently on the games I mentioned? I know answer is No for crysis. Mainly concerned with GTA, COD, Borderlands, Diablo3, starcraft2 as those are the games I see now that I'm interested in.

For those that suggest 5850 + 24". Isn't a monitor a better investment? In about 2 years, any vid card purchased now is already old, and almost guaranteed to be replaced. A monitor can and is usually used till the end of it's life, which is easily 5+years. So why vid card over monitor? Is it because monitors get cheaper faster or it's because 24" is sufficient?

EDIT: I want high resolution on all games (except crysis, which I know i have to get AT LEAST 5850 for it to be good at that)
  6. ^ If there would have been any other major difference apart from the size of the monitor, we would have suggested the 28". And like you said, monitors do become cheaper, better and you will get newer more efficient ones with better features too...
    What is the use of getting a wonderful monitor when you dont get a equally suited graphics card ?
    And 24" is also not small isn't it ?
  7. To give more details

ASUS VW246H 24-Inch

ASUS VW266H 25.5-Inch Widescreen LCD

HannsG 28" monitor

Acer P235Hbmid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Here are the sample monitors I'm looking at. Yes they are not of the best quality, more of budget monitors.

(The two in bold are the 24 and 28" I'm talking about earlier. The others are just similar products in the same price range)
  8. What card do you have at the moment?
  9. @mousemonkey

I am just about to get a card. Trying to decide which one to get
  10. Of course i can go cheap on both,and get the 24" and 5770, so i can buy the razr lycosa and logitech g5 mouse, and have money left over for next vidcard upgrade.

Or wait for thanksgiving sale. That would put my whole computer on hold. And seriously, 1 full month of wait? That's very very hard.
  11. Best answer
    Sky03 said:
    Of course i can go cheap on both,and get the 24" and 5770, so i can buy the razr lycosa and logitech g5 mouse, and have money left over for next vidcard upgrade.

Or wait for thanksgiving sale. That would put my whole computer on hold. And seriously, 1 full month of wait? That's very very hard.

You really are between a rock and a very stony place, but if the monitor is on offer how long have you got? as the cards are only likely to get cheaper but the monitor will be replaced by a higher res and higher priced model.
    And then what card to get to tide you over until you can Xfire or replace? I say go for the 28" as that's what you've set your heart on and it might be a limited offer, then get a 5850 and really a cheap mouse and keyboard to tide you over.
  12. @Sky03 wont there by any offers during "Black Friday" ?
  13. Get the 28'' monster sky suggested and the 5770. That will max the games you will mostly play. More screen (nothing compares with a big monitor :D) and good quality card. Later if you need more performance you can X-fire with another 5770 (that is if you have a Crossfire capable motherboard)
  14. Yes it will be xfire/sli compatible.

Yes there will be sales on black friday. But then, no point in building my computer now, if i'm going to wait for black friday.
  15. Have you considered the monitor and a 4890?

The 4890 is about $20 more than the 5770, but for DX10 will perform better.

Personally, I would save an extra $50 and get the 5850. Why not ring your neighbors doorbells and offer to cut their lawns. 2 lawns for $25 each should do it.
  16. My concern with 4890 is that it's less flexible than the 5770, and at a higher cost. With the 5770, i will have the option to crossfire or replace it. With the 4890, i'm almost forced to replace, cause if i go for xfire on that i won't have dx11 for a long time. Like if i upgrade in about 10-12 mos with a 2nd 4890, then another 12+ mos with that combo, the soonest i step up to dx11 would be in 2 yrs.
  17. Sky03 said:
    My concern with 4890 is that it's less flexible than the 5770, and at a higher cost. With the 5770, i will have the option to crossfire or replace it. With the 4890, i'm almost forced to replace, cause if i go for xfire on that i won't have dx11 for a long time. Like if i upgrade in about 10-12 mos with a 2nd 4890, then another 12+ mos with that combo, the soonest i step up to dx11 would be in 2 yrs.

If DX11 is important to you, then go with the 5770. But currently there are no DX11 titles, so who knows how well DX11 will work in the real world. It will probably be an improvement, but you never get improvement in one area without giving something up. My hunch is some games will look better, but at a lower FPS.

I recently bought a 1GB 4870 for $125 with a rebate. The reason I didn't opt for one of the 5000 series is because to get better DX10 performance I would have gotten a 5850 and it would have cost double. I can play all my games in 1920x1200 fine with this card. By the time DX11 is mainstream, PCIe 3.0 and USB 3.0 will likely be out and i'll want a complete new build that will be more than twice as fast as anything out today.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics Product