Advice 2600k Looking good?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hey there people :hello:

For the first time I want to jump into overclocking, I have been reading most of the posts in here for a year even when I had my 1055t but was to scared to hit save changes and boot. So I bought a 2600K and I thought it would be pointless not overclocking a waste of money even! So I have some questions which It would be nice if I had them answered.

Firstly I will give you my specs to iron out problems;
Noctua NH D14 (Also had for a year but never pushed it even on the 1055t lol)
AsRock Extreme 3 Gen 3
GTX 570 (In the post)
Corsair HX 750w

Here are my questions

1.) With the UEFI I'm using at the moment under CPU Core Voltage or VCore there are three options I have looked at them and can't decide which is best, now keep in mind i'm only aiming for a 3.8 - 4.2 since I'm scared to push it much more and this small overclock should give me better performance. so The three options are 'Auto' 'Offset' and fixed, which one is going to be best for this small overclock.

2.) When I selected offset it allowed me to increase the Vcore in small increments now when I selected 0.005 does this add 0.005 to the already existing volts. So the CPU at default is at 1.2610 or thereabouts does this offset option add 0.005 to the already existing Vcore therefore this would make it 1.266??

Any help much appreciated, please ask questions if I did not make something clear.

Best Regards Cain.

madchemist83

Distinguished
I would suggest starting with manual vcore of about 1.25 and going up on multiplier till u hit bsod.. Then increase voltage. When u find best possible voltage then run prime for about 12 hours and see of you bsod. Then switch to offset.
Offset works the way that it lowers or raises ur base clock. Weird thing happens for me at idle I'd have 1.29 @ 4.2ghz and under load it would drop to 1.25 my offset is set to 0.05

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

To be honest that made no sense to me, so what setting do I want to use? There is no manual setting there. Auto, Offset or fixed. That's it.

skyviper80

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
For the overclock you are aiming for on that proc you won't need to change, or shouldn't need to change your CPU voltage. Just change your multiplier to 42 apply and reboot. Prime test it and you should be good to go.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

If I leave it the voltage on auto like on default it will overvolt the CPU.

skyviper80

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
the stock voltage range for that cpu is 1.2~1.35v. if you leave it on auto the mb is going to adjust the voltage within the vid of the proc. since you are only looking at going to 4.2ghz you can over clock on stock voltage levels. leave the setting on auto and change your multiplier to 42, disable spread spectrum and your pretty much done.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Okay will just finish up with work and I will try 3.9 and see if it's stable then try 4.2 if I like it :)

The stock range is 1.2-1.25v in turbo (1.35 is tom's max safe for longevity). During idle it will be ~.95v. Offset allows the voltage to drop when in idle and go up when you go to full speed. Auto usually overvolts, and you want it to drop when in idle for less power/heat so offset is what I recommend. The base value for your asrock mobo should be 1.25v so +.05 will give you 1.3. But what complicates things is vdroop so it may not go to 1.3v. Then you would need to adjust llc. 1.25v should get you to around 4.0ghz so put an offset closest to 0 which should be -.005 or +.005. You shouldn't need to change any other settings except multiplier and vcore.

Auto does not adjust within vid, you can look at tom's man vs machine article and see that auto oc will often go above 1.35v (one even almost hit 1.45, definitely not safe). And since auto changes voltage, that is not stock voltage of 1.2-1.25. The stock load voltage is a range because of turbo's different levels.

@Madchemist offset does not change base clock, if that were changed, pcie, sata, and other connetions becomes corrupt, it is a voltage setting and only affects voltage. You have higher idle than load voltage because vdroop and this would only happen if using fixed.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

You can't compare an i5 to an i7 when it comes to overclocking cause the i7 will need more voltage per clock then the i7 because of hyperthreading.

OP you don't need to be so cautious. Your not going to hurt it unless you pour 1.45v plus into it for a decent amount of time. Blue screens arent bad per se like it seems you think they are. Relax a little and enjoy the process. Set the the voltage to 1.25 like someone else said the put the multiplier to 42. then stress test and if it passes.lower the voltage till it fails. Once you find a good voltage change to offset that corresponds to the voltage you found using a monitoring program.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Okay I think I got it :) Does this look about right?

CPU Core Voltage : Offset (+0.005)
CPU Multiplier : 40
Base Clock : 100

Just tell me if this looks okay? Then I will go and try it out.

PS For some reason I'm always scared about voltage. I know the max is 1.5 but toms say 1.35.

Tom's says 1.35 for longevity, overclockers who want to most go to 1.4-1.45 and it should still last years before it becomes obsolete. I understand you want to be cautious, it is quite expensive hardware, but it is easy to stay under safe parameters. Go try a stability test and just make sure to watch temps/volt.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Right I have all of the monitoring software in place, like prime95 and CPU-z and CoreTemp. Could you just confirm that the offset setting I'm going to enter is correct? +0.005 is the offset value I'm going to be using all good?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

This is a trial and error stuff. What works for me might not for you. Try an offset of at least -.06 and report back. the lower the offset the lower the voltage.

With the Noctua NH D14, Cain you can run the 4500mhz range 100% rock solid with no problem, what you have to decide on yourself, is what Intel features you cannot live without because you're going to have much more versatility than you did with your AMD 1055T.

You have the ability to leave your Turbo Boost enabled or disabled, and use whatever energy saving features Intel has built into the CPU, or you have the option of actually overclocking all 4 cores with no throttling, (check sig link), you just have to decide which overclocking route you want to take.

Fixed CPU voltage is more advantageous if you're taking the 4 core no throttling approach, as with the lesser overclocking routes depending on Turbo Boost some prefer the offset voltage.

I've used fixed voltage with my 2500K since I've had it from the beginning of 2011, from my experience it's more dependable in the operating system itself.

Since all hardware is of differing quality you'll definitely be doing a lot of experimenting along the way because voltage ranges are close but different settings between a 2600K, 2500K, 2700K etc., but they all overclock basically exactly the same.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Ahh right I think I have got it now, but you have bought me to another question. You say try an offset of at least .06 would that not decrease the default Vcore of the i7? surely we want to increase it? Could you just explain that quickly please, cheers :)

cbrunnem

Distinguished
That was just a estimate cause that's were i run nine at when i run it at 4.0. I can't say this enough though, this is trial and error. If you rely on us to give you numbers it will take forever. You will not want to have a positive number offset. That voltage will be too large.

Seriously enter -.06 and boot the computer. It will not hurt it so just do it. Report back with actual voltage and temps please

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Okay I will just finish up with some work and give this a punt. Wish me luck :na: :na:

The base value is 1.25 so will not be too much for a positive value. Sure undervolt is a good thing just make sure you're stable at idle as well as load. Then you will also need to change llc or additional turbo voltage to raise load voltage to achieve a higher oc. -.05 is usually the lowest I see people go to and be stable at idle. (giving .9v idle)

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Just done it before you posted that and the volts are crazy!!! I put in 40 went down to the CPU Voltage used the offset and entered -0.005 which was the smallest '-' option.

Volts are at 1.3611 like why are they so high when I used offset and -0.005?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Volts: 1.3611
CPU Multiplier: 40

It's fluctuating between idle and load and volts are changing so thats good I suppose, volts are way to high for my liking, I entered an offset of -0.005.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

seriously man, do i have to beat it into your head... lol?

your not going to hurt your cpu. the computer will shut itself down before harm is done.

go with a much bigger change like -.05

TRENDING THREADS