Sign in with
Your question

P55 same as P7P55D

Last response: in Motherboards
April 10, 2010 5:26:11 AM

Are these the same when it comes to overclocking. P55 and the P7P55D.

I ask this because I have the P7P55D motherboard and in this video

the P55 was used.

Thank you.

More about : p55 p7p55d

a b K Overclocking
a c 135 V Motherboard
April 10, 2010 7:05:03 AM

Can you clarify more please ?
Are you comparing P7P55D with a P55? well P55 is a chipset and P7P55D uses this chipset.
m
l
April 10, 2010 7:17:03 AM

In the video, the guy goes over the steps to do in order to overclock your system and I'm wondering if it's going to be the same if I do it using my motherboard. This might be random but it says for i5 you should get the ram with 1333 MHz but i accidently got the 1600 MHz. Is that going to be a big problem?

Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2010 9:08:14 AM

The guy in the video is probably talking about P55 chipset based motherboards. Your ASUS P7P55D motherboard is indeed a P55 motherboard, and thus you can follow his instructions, the BIOS may be different, but the concept of overclocking the CPU will be the same. As for overclocking with RAM, 1600MHz is better... IIRC, if the lowest FSB : DRAM ratio is 2:8 on your motherboard, (it is on socket 1366/Core i7 900 boards), then getting 1600MHz RAM will allow you to get around a 200 BCLK, 1333MHz RAM won't cut it, mainly that type of RAM is for those who aren't going to overclock. I'm not fully sure about the RAM overclocking thing, but 1600MHz RAM is fine...
m
l
April 10, 2010 5:44:49 PM

rotmammoth said:
In the video, the guy goes over the steps to do in order to overclock your system and I'm wondering if it's going to be the same if I do it using my motherboard. This might be random but it says for i5 you should get the ram with 1333 MHz but i accidently got the 1600 MHz. Is that going to be a big problem?

Thank you.

I have a ASUS P7P55D-pro motherboard and it's basically the same board as the one you have. The fact that 1333mhz memory is recommended is because the BIOS does not allow you to change normally higher than 1333mhz memory setting, This is due to the maximum of 2:10 multiplier for memory and the basic dmi of 133mhz. To raise your memory frequencies higher you have to do some overclocking. To put it short you need to raise your DMI/cpu speeds to at least 160 mhz to get your memory to work as 1600mhz. This would also increase the processor frequency to 3,2ghz (in case you have i5-750 processor). All in all it's a fairly easy overclock that gives you nice benefits. The only thing you might need to adjust here is the vcore voltage for your processor but it would propably work even when left on automatic.

The basic overclocking scheme for different motherboards and BIOSes is virtually the same. It's not even difficult once you have done it once or twice. It just usually takes some time to configure the optimal voltages and test the processor stability afterwards.
m
l
April 10, 2010 8:41:43 PM

alright thanks, that helps alot.
m
l
April 10, 2010 9:02:39 PM

Would you guys happen to know exactly what I should do if i want a stable, overclocked system? Or should i just follow his guide even though his core temp reaches 75C-90C. If you guys have a better way, can you tell me because I'm totally new to OC'ing.

Thanks
m
l
!