Solved

Thermalright silver arrow

I'm thinking about overclocking my rig with stock voltages right now because I want to read more into it before I get all nitty gritty. It looks as though most people advise one to not overclock the i5 2500k w/o getting an aftermarket cooler. Right now my rig is running the i5 2500k, msi p67a gd65, 16gb corsair 1600mhz ram, 2x powercolor 6870's 1300w psu. I checked to see if it would fit and it will. Is there anyway to put a third fan on it, it says on the thermalright website you can, I just haven't seen it though. If you even can is it even worth it as the performance gains may be negligible.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about thermalright silver arrow
  1. Ya just put the extra fan on the rear side(back of case).
    Great cooler,although you'll have fit issues if your ram kit isn't low profile.
    You'll have no choice but to use the rear position.
    Example with Dominators which are the same height as regular Vengeance.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/03/thermalright_silver_arrow_heatsink_fan_unit_review/2
  2. sweet! are there any better coolers for the price? The only benchmarks i saw were comparing the three fans vs the noctua nh d14 which only had 2 fans
  3. Best answer
    ryfry said:
    sweet! are there any better coolers for the price? The only benchmarks i saw were comparing the three fans vs the noctua nh d14 which only had 2 fans

    You're going to eventually get some feedback saying the Noctua D-14 is better.
    I don't think so,i think they're on par.
    What i will say is the TY-140mm fan is better and quieter then any fan Noctua makes.
    The SA comes with two.
    The only other coolers i would consider is the Archon or TS 140,provided you have a wide case at least 9" wide.
    You do realize a CM Evo will sufficiently cool a 2500K @ 4.5GHz for very little cost.
  4. nobody's ever reccomended it to me, I havent read many reviews on coolers as my mpc subscription ran out. I know the hyper212 is crowd favorite, mpc had very good reviews of most zalmans so I was originally looking at them. I saw someone post in here having the same case as me saying you could fit any cooler in this case under 110mm so yeah...
  5. ryfry said:
    nobody's ever reccomended it to me, I havent read many reviews on coolers as my mpc subscription ran out. I know the hyper212 is crowd favorite, mpc had very good reviews of most zalmans so I was originally looking at them. I saw someone post in here having the same case as me saying you could fit any cooler in this case under 110mm so yeah...

    What case do you have?
  6. Antec 900
  7. ryfry said:
    Antec 900

    The Antec 900 is 8.1" wide.
    I would just get a good $30-50 cooler that's 152-160mm tall.
    The 212+ or Evo are very good and compatible with most ram kits.
    The Zalman Performa is also a very good cooler for the price.
    I like Zalman CNPS10X tower coolers,not too crazy about the orbital ones(non-replaceable fans).
  8. There is a mount on the side that gets in the way of somefans thats why they said in another thread, unless you mod the case you need a smaller one. I was planning on getting the sa for future use when I start to overclock more heavily.
  9. ryfry said:
    There is a mount on the side that gets in the way of somefans thats why they said in another thread, unless you mod the case you need a smaller one. I was planning on getting the sa for future use when I start to overclock more heavily.

    Yes i know about that.
    I have a 902 with the same side mount fan clips.
    I also have a 160mm tall cooler installed with about 1/4 inch to spare = my 902 is 1/2 inch wider though.
    You can cut or trim down those fan clips.
    No big loss for better cpu cooling imo.
    Side fans only drop temps 1-2C = cpu cooler 10C+ easy.
  10. I dont really have the tools to mod the case atm (college) but i didnt really plan on putting a fan in there anyway as people would say it can disrupt the airflow
  11. Best answer selected by ryfry.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Overclocking