Thermalright silver arrow

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I'm thinking about overclocking my rig with stock voltages right now because I want to read more into it before I get all nitty gritty. It looks as though most people advise one to not overclock the i5 2500k w/o getting an aftermarket cooler. Right now my rig is running the i5 2500k, msi p67a gd65, 16gb corsair 1600mhz ram, 2x powercolor 6870's 1300w psu. I checked to see if it would fit and it will. Is there anyway to put a third fan on it, it says on the thermalright website you can, I just haven't seen it though. If you even can is it even worth it as the performance gains may be negligible.

Solution

You're going to eventually get some feedback saying the Noctua D-14 is better.
I don't think so,i think they're on par.
What i will say is the TY-140mm fan is better and quieter then any fan Noctua makes.
The SA comes with two.
The only other coolers i would consider is the Archon or TS 140,provided you have a wide case at least 9" wide.
You do realize a CM Evo will sufficiently cool a 2500K @ 4.5GHz for very little cost.

You're going to eventually get some feedback saying the Noctua D-14 is better.
I don't think so,i think they're on par.
What i will say is the TY-140mm fan is better and quieter then any fan Noctua makes.
The SA comes with two.
The only other coolers i would consider is the Archon or TS 140,provided you have a wide case at least 9" wide.
You do realize a CM Evo will sufficiently cool a 2500K @ 4.5GHz for very little cost.

Solution

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
nobody's ever reccomended it to me, I havent read many reviews on coolers as my mpc subscription ran out. I know the hyper212 is crowd favorite, mpc had very good reviews of most zalmans so I was originally looking at them. I saw someone post in here having the same case as me saying you could fit any cooler in this case under 110mm so yeah...

What case do you have?

The Antec 900 is 8.1" wide.
I would just get a good $30-50 cooler that's 152-160mm tall.
The 212+ or Evo are very good and compatible with most ram kits.
The Zalman Performa is also a very good cooler for the price.
I like Zalman CNPS10X tower coolers,not too crazy about the orbital ones(non-replaceable fans).

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
There is a mount on the side that gets in the way of somefans thats why they said in another thread, unless you mod the case you need a smaller one. I was planning on getting the sa for future use when I start to overclock more heavily.

Yes i know about that.
I have a 902 with the same side mount fan clips.
I also have a 160mm tall cooler installed with about 1/4 inch to spare = my 902 is 1/2 inch wider though.
You can cut or trim down those fan clips.
No big loss for better cpu cooling imo.
Side fans only drop temps 1-2C = cpu cooler 10C+ easy.