Sign in with
Your question

Can a PCI video card go into any PCI Slot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2009 4:29:41 AM

I have an older Dell desktop that has Intel integrated Extreme graphics 2. I want to put a cheap graphics card in this box to play some older games, however it doesn't have your typical dedicated graphics card slot (like I do on my other boxes...an AGP system and a PCI-E system). It only has 3 regular PCI slots.

Can I still add a PCI video card into any one of these three slots? Or am I stuck with the integrated graphics only?

October 29, 2009 4:53:46 AM

A PCI video card will work in any of them.

This is for no reason other than I'm curious: What cpu is in that old desktop, and what games are you planning to play?
m
l
October 29, 2009 5:04:42 AM

The CPU is a P4 2.8 GHz and I am plan on playing Everquest on one of the free emulators (they use the Titanium or Anniversary editions).

m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2009 5:06:29 AM

As a side note, when I go to newegg.com, and go to filter their list of video cards, it asks for PCI Express x1, PCI Express x16 and PCI Express 2.0 x16.

How do I know which type of PCI Express card I need to get?
m
l
October 29, 2009 5:52:38 AM

Sorry, you are right....its not PCI Express. I am dealing with upgrading three different computers and got them confused when I posted about the types of PCI Express (happens at old age) :) 

Thanks Hiby, Ill go with the GeForce 8400 !
m
l
!