Can a PCI video card go into any PCI Slot?

I have an older Dell desktop that has Intel integrated Extreme graphics 2. I want to put a cheap graphics card in this box to play some older games, however it doesn't have your typical dedicated graphics card slot (like I do on my other boxes...an AGP system and a PCI-E system). It only has 3 regular PCI slots.

Can I still add a PCI video card into any one of these three slots? Or am I stuck with the integrated graphics only?

6 answers Last reply
More about video card slot
  1. A PCI video card will work in any of them.

This is for no reason other than I'm curious: What cpu is in that old desktop, and what games are you planning to play?
  2. The CPU is a P4 2.8 GHz and I am plan on playing Everquest on one of the free emulators (they use the Titanium or Anniversary editions).

3. As a side note, when I go to newegg.com, and go to filter their list of video cards, it asks for PCI Express x1, PCI Express x16 and PCI Express 2.0 x16.

How do I know which type of PCI Express card I need to get?
  4. You don't want to choose any of those three options, since all are still PCI Express, which you already said you don't have any slots for. You'll want to look at these cards that fit in an old standard PCI slot.
  5. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187041

This one seems to be the best price/performance in the list, I would go with that.
  6. Sorry, you are right....its not PCI Express. I am dealing with upgrading three different computers and got them confused when I posted about the types of PCI Express (happens at old age) :)

Thanks Hiby, Ill go with the GeForce 8400 !
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Graphics Product