Synology SD411 Slim Discussion Only

G

I have it with Samsung 1TB (12.5mm thick) drives and I'm really happy with it.
I find the user interface and features really good and the performance is wonderful.

I also use old/aging ReadyNas NV+ ... Compared to it, DS411slim is great upgrade/update - it is about 5x faster.

The details of the disks:
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint MT2 SATA-300 5400RPM 8MB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive (12.5mm Height) Mfr#: HM100UI

G

I'm not sure what do you mean by chosing 500GB drives, so you can use all 4 in hybrid raid ....

You can use any drive size you like up to 4 of them. I chosed mine based on price per GB and compatibility list ... Anyway, I'm not questioning your drive choice. I'm simply noting what I use for clarity.

The important matter is that compared to other NAS's in this price cathegory I met - this one is fast, quiet, is great for Linux, is full featured, extremely small/portable and reasonably priced - I'm real user and can recomend it.

Using hybrid raid with 4 disks means that you will end up using it in RAID5 mode, if I understand things right for Synology. I simply selected RAID5 when I put my disks in. One disk for parity is good enough for me - I back up the NAS anyway.

Backup software for what?
* For backing up the NAS - you do not need any SW as it can back itself up to external disks/NAS/ftp/rsync/.....
* If you are talking about backing up my PC to NAS. I do not do that as I do not store any real data on any of my PCs. I use NAS for everything. It saves on disks, data duplications, etc.
* I simply use NAS as network drive on both Linux and visitor's M$ Win machines.
* If I would be backing up Windows PC as system drive. I would most likely boot it to Knoppix and make bzipped image of its system disk/partition/MBR to NAS using dd. That's what I do for virtual machines.
* I do not backup my Linux boxes becuse it is probably faster to reinstall them than backup and recover + patch. Full install with all apps takes less than hour these days. There is no licensing/pirating issue, so I do not face any Windows registration annoyances, re-purchases, etc.

I hope that it makes sense and I did not make many typos

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
500gb x 4 because 1TB x 4 is to expensive for me.

I will be using the ds411Slim for backing up document and some application data and Outlook .pst files from my pc and my wifes and daughter. Also storing all are family pictures on the NAS.

Just wondering what other people are using for backup SW other than the Synologies Data Replicator.