Question about first boot up

tk42

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I'm thinking of building a computer, and have been reading instructions online. This may be a basic question, but i have to ask. At what point do you need to put in the cd that comes with the motherboard, the cd drive and the video card and the sound card. After the BIOS dost it first self test, do you put in the cd to install the operating system (windows) and after that is set up, then you put the cd's for the motherboard, video card ect to load their drivers? Or do the cd's for the motherboared, video card, cd drive, and sound cards have to be put in first (even before the cd for the operating systems) , just so they will be recognized and able to function. Thanks for any explanations.

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Operating system first. Windows has basic drivers built in for the video card, etc. But immediately after you've installed Windows, install any drivers for motherboard, video card, and whatever else you have that needs them.

Windows first, then the motherboard disk for the chipset, Lan, and whatever other features you want to install for the board....if you are using on-board sound, install it as well at this time. Then the video drivers and whatever else you have.

The only thing you will have to worry about installing first is if you are installing XP, and you want to enable AHCI mode for your SATA Hard Drive. If this is your case, there is a few steps you MUST follow to get Windows to install.

If you are using Vista, or 7, or simply set your SATA controller to IDE mode, no worries.

tk42

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Thank you both, for your quick replies. I have preordered Windows 7 from newegg so will probably have everything by time it ships sometime after the 22nd. Thanks again