Sign in with
Your question

Windows wont set up

Last response: in Windows XP
April 6, 2012 11:19:12 PM

Hello, I built a new machine with a Asus m5A97 mobo and a Phenom 925 quad core. The mobo is listed as a 64 bit unit, but I want to run Windows XP Pro (32bit) until Windows 8 comes out in the fall. Problem is is that I get the bios to show up, but when it comes to installing XP Pro, I can not get the system to read the cd. From what I have read, there are no compatibility issues....So what can I do to fix this?

More about : windows wont set

April 9, 2012 2:25:22 AM

You may need to change the Boot Order in the BIOS or UEFI Setup Utility... set the Optical drive as the first boot device. Another option is using the appropriate Key to launch the boot device selection box... you can see which key when the BIOS fills the screen with the checksum text... pause the screen with the Pause/Break key so you can read which key to use to launch the box and select the boot device.
m
l
April 9, 2012 8:36:48 PM

It can't read the CD at all to boot from, or what is the exact issue? If it can't read the disk, have you tried the disk in another PC?
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2012 1:57:26 AM

Click on the Asus link to read your motherboard manual. Read Chapter 3 (3.7) Under Boot Option Priorities and Boot Override. These instructions read:

To select the boot device during system startup, press <F8> when the ASUS Logo appears.
This will launch the *Boot Override selector, where you can select to boot from the CD/DVD Drive.

To access Windows OS in Safe Mode (usually F8), do any of the following:
- Press <F5> when ASUS Logo appears.
- Press <F8> after the BIOS POST.

* Boot Override
These items sdisplay the available devices (installed on the computer). Click an item to start booting from the selected device

Click on this link > Asus M5A97 Manual with UEFI BIOS instructions, Select OS > Click on Manual > click on the "Global" link under "M5A97 User's Manual (English)" this will open the PDF Manual... save a copy and scroll down to chapter 3 - 3.7 Boot Option Priorities.
m
l
April 17, 2012 1:17:47 AM

I did all I could with changing the boot priority...After about a dozen different attempts...Nothing. The cd is OK because it is the boot cd for the system I am using now on an old single core tower that I built. The problem ended up being that XP Pro 32 bit does not have SATA HDD drivers. I tried a few of the tricks mention on here and other sites to add the SATA drivers to the install...It was not working no matter what. I wanted to get this system up and running ASAP so I bellied up and got Windows 7.....Thanks for the suggestions though.
m
l
April 17, 2012 2:15:06 PM

Artc1 said:
I did all I could with changing the boot priority...After about a dozen different attempts...Nothing. The cd is OK because it is the boot cd for the system I am using now on an old single core tower that I built. The problem ended up being that XP Pro 32 bit does not have SATA HDD drivers. I tried a few of the tricks mention on here and other sites to add the SATA drivers to the install...It was not working no matter what. I wanted to get this system up and running ASAP so I bellied up and got Windows 7.....Thanks for the suggestions though.

That's different than not being able to read the CD. You may have fixed the SATA issue with using an XP SP3 disk. Keep in mind that we don't know what is going on unless you add in all the details, error messages, etc.. to the post. When you say "can't get the system to read the CD" that's what we would go by.
m
l
April 17, 2012 4:48:43 PM

I know adding more details would have been helpful....A lot of them I did not understand until I looked more into this site and others to get a firmer grasp on what was happening. I did not think to look into SP3? That might have been a little cheaper than forking over the $120 for Windows 7....lol
m
l
!