Solved

3 0GHZ processor what kind of RAM do i use

I have a dell dimension 2400 with a 2.4 celeron. I have a pentium 4 3.0GHZ i am installing but i dont what kind of ram that i will need to run my pc. the processor will be sustainable on the motherboard that i am useing along with the chipset i have a Dell 0F5949 motherboard. So what kind of ram should i get? PC2100 or pc2700? I am running PC3200 right now.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 0ghz processor kind
  1. You should continue using the PC3200, no reason to switch to slower ram...
  2. This is what I dont understand. Many sites that I go to, depending on the processor FSB is depending on the memory that you should use. Like before I saw that with a 3.0GHZ processor I should use PC2700. Dont understand that at all.
  3. You may need to upgrade your cpu cooling due to extra heat.
  4. Ok thanks for helping me out. So confused :pt1cable: about all of it. I have read so many forums on it and you guys have giving me more information on it than they have. :bounce: SWEEET!!!!!!!!
  5. Due to the extra heat that will be added. I have purchased a better case with A LOT of fans. Most likely not all needed but I want to make sure that it is ok.
    Thanks guys :hello:
  6. Quote:
    Any of those will work but PC3200 (ddr400) is the fastest.

+1 to zip
  7. theotherguy88 all you really need is a rear vent to counter the heat, and i wouldnt have spent that cash on such an old 478 system - its just too old and crap

make sure your motherboard supports that 3.0cpu, especially if your running a board that doesnt support a prescott and your 3.0 is a 3.0e/prescott chip etc

DDR400 is correct for the E/C series processors, and actually incorrect for the 2.4 if anything (DDR266 for FSB400 and 266/333 for FSB533 etc)
  8. Actually apache, the PC was givin to me. Other than that the computer runs fine. :kaola:
    i am running pc3200 with a board that is capable of running a Pentium 4 3.06GHZ.
    What I dont understand is if the specs for my computer tell to run pc2700 why is there pc3200 in the computer with no problems.
    This is the site I found about the PC I have.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm
  9. Best answer
    theotherguy88 said:
    Actually apache, the PC was givin to me. Other than that the computer runs fine. :kaola:
    i am running pc3200 with a board that is capable of running a Pentium 4 3.06GHZ.
    What I dont understand is if the specs for my computer tell to run pc2700 why is there pc3200 in the computer with no problems.

Simple really, PC3200 is its rated speed (up to 400MHz) If your system runs at a slower speed, say 333MHz it simply runs at the lower speed. Theres never any problem using ram rated at a higher speed than what you need, as long as its the same type, you just won't see any benefit from it. But like I said, since you already have it keep using it, it will not perform any worse than 2700 would.
  10. theotherguy88 said:
    Actually apache, the PC was givin to me. Other than that the computer runs fine. :kaola:

Since you had the thing given to you it's quite possible whoever had it before upgraded at some point and chose to use PC-3200.

The pins on the memory are the same and PC-3200 is backwards compatible with the slower specification memory.

If you were to mix the memory (not a good idea) for example and put PC-3200 in one slot and PC-2700 in the other the PC-3200 would operate at the speed of the PC-2700.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM Processors Dell