I5 i7 and ram memory

lexrg

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hy guys, i have 3 ltl questions to make and i would apreciate a lot if u could help me those 3 questions are :

For gamming ( the nex 2 years aprox) is there too much dif bettween an i5 and an i7 using the same ram and the same gpu

what is "DDR3 " in a videocard

is there a lot of diference between a ram at 1333htz and a normal one

TY !

Solution

1) Almost no difference in a majority of games. If you have a cpu bound and multi threaded game like FSX, then i7 will be better.
2) DDR3 in a video card is the type of ram used on the card. DDR5 is faster, and more expensive. The type of ram in a video card has NO relationship to the type of ram required by a motherboard.
3) Faster ram and lower latencies do not translate into better...

1. There is no difference between the core i5 and i7 for gaming performance. The extra threads will go to waste on the i7s.

2. GDDR3 is almost like (if the not the same) as systems ddr3 ram. The main difference is that memory is only used by the Gpu.

3. What do you mean here? 1333Mhz ram to 1600MHz ram, ect. Whats the "normal one"?

Peeps use higher rated RAM when thy plan on overclocking. For example, the "stock" memory multilier on a 920 / X58 system is 8. Memory speed @ stock is 1066 or 8 x 133.33 Base Clock and a CPU speed of 2.66 Ghz

Now if you boost you say wanna do a 25 % overclock......that would require a base clock of 166.66, which x 8 would mean a memory speed of 1333 and a 920 speed of 3.33 Ghz. So for this OC, you'd want 1333 rated RAM.

If you want to hit 4.0 Ghz land, then a base clock of 200 which x 8 gives you a RAM speed of 1600, so to maintain that multiplier, you'd wanna buy 1600 DDR.

1366 boards use triple channel memory hence 3 x 2G
1156 boards use double channel memory hence 2 x 2G

1) Almost no difference in a majority of games. If you have a cpu bound and multi threaded game like FSX, then i7 will be better.
2) DDR3 in a video card is the type of ram used on the card. DDR5 is faster, and more expensive. The type of ram in a video card has NO relationship to the type of ram required by a motherboard.
3) Faster ram and lower latencies do not translate into better application times or FPS(compared to synthetic benchmarks), perhaps 1-3%. Jacknaylorpe explained the implications for high overclocks well.

It is more important to get sufficient ram. 4gb should be the minimum these days. 6gb is a sweet spot in my opinion.

Solution