Would 3/8 ID Tubing fit on 1/2 Barbs?

mattzke123

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Would 3/8 ID Tubing fit on 1/2 Barbs ?? I need new tubing an I don't know if this will fit or not cause the tubing my kit came with was 7/16 tubing an all the sites I shop on are all out :S

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Why are you trying to do this?

Most people that try to use smaller barbs use 1/2" barbs and 7/16"ID tubing, not 3/8"ID.

Again, why are you trying to do this? I see no point and you run the risk of the force needed to push this on causing permanent damage to threads or causing cracks.

Why are you doing this?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, steel barbs do not help...you are still threading them into something else, likely delrin or plastic. The amount of force required could potentially cause you long-term problems.

Tubing is relatively cheap- $2 foot for Primochill or even less for 3/8"ID. If you really are that broke, go to the hardware store and pick up some cheap vinyl tubing at $0.80 foot.

You can possibly dip the ends of tubing in boiling water, but not sure this method would work as well as if you were using barbs/tubing closer to same ID size. Wouldn't it just be easier to wait until you had an extra $15 and get the right tubing? Half-assing it in watercooling never leads to good things.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm just trying to warn you- fitting 3/8"ID tubing over 1/2"ID barbs is a lot harder than you might realize. Yes, it can be done, but do yourself a favor and make sure you do it right.

If you are doing smaller tubing on 1/2"ID barbs, go with 7/16"ID tubing, it will still be a tight fit, but not nearly the wrestling match that 3/8"ID tubing would be.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
3/8 barbs. If you wanted to try your stretching concept, 7/16".

I've always used matching ID tubing and barbs with clamps or good zip ties and not had issues. I know a lot of people like the 1-step smaller tubing concept and I've been thinking of trying it just to see. If you go this route, use very hot water, dip the tubing ends to heat and slide over. As they cool, they should fit very tightly.

I've also noticed that matching tubing size (say, 1/2"ID tubing and 1/2"ID barbs) nylon barbs fit much more tightly with tubing, metal barbs have a little less snug fit. It's a good idea to use clamps of some kind with barbs, especially as a beginner.

mattzke123

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I was using the standard XSPC tubing but the tubing as become discolored like really merky, I have plastic reuseable clamps which I could use with 3/8 barbs if you think thats a good idea cause they're only like $3 each

ram1009

Distinguished

You're asking for permission to do something stupid. Even if you manage to deform the tubing to fit you run the very real risk of over-stretching the material to the point where it will fail prematurely. How expensive will it be to find your rig full of water?

mattzke123

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

I used Koolance Fluorescent Blue coolant, an when I say murky like the tubing is all cloudy an not very clear after use

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
i think a lot of new water cooling users mistakenly blame plasticizers when they really just have a bit of dead algae clinging to their tubing walls. Ask any hydroponic grower how easy it is to build up a lil algae film in a completely enclosed resevoir. Algae thrives in well lit warm water lacking in dissolved oxygen...remind you of anything?

I rofl so hard when I see these blinged out builds with 300 LED's surrounding glowing clear tubes. Its hideous and increases the risk of algal blooms. Just buy some black tubing and pt nuke and forget about 3-6 month maintenance.