Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Configure SSD and HDD drives

Last response: in Storage
September 1, 2011 9:56:50 AM

I have a new build using OS Windows 7 Ultimate and have fitted a 120gb SSD and a 1000gb HDD unit.
I've loaded most of the drivers and software, and probably because I selected the SSD for the OS, all subsequent loading has automatically gone to this drive. It now is about 30% full. No partitioning was called for during installation, but I was given the opportunity of selecting which storage device to use.
My problem is that, although both drives appear as working properly in Device Manager, only the SSD is shown in 'Computer'. Is this because as yet, nothing has been stored on the HDD?.
The other unknown that I have is, how can I direct future software to the drive I want it to go to?
Does one drive have to be filled before the system starts to use the second drive?
Any advice/comment would be appreciated.
September 1, 2011 10:19:42 AM

LEANGIMPY said:
I have a new build using OS Windows 7 Ultimate and have fitted a 120gb SSD and a 1000gb HDD unit.
I've loaded most of the drivers and software, and probably because I selected the SSD for the OS, all subsequent loading has automatically gone to this drive. It now is about 30% full. No partitioning was called for during installation, but I was given the opportunity of selecting which storage device to use.
My problem is that, although both drives appear as working properly in Device Manager, only the SSD is shown in 'Computer'. Is this because as yet, nothing has been stored on the HDD?.
The other unknown that I have is, how can I direct future software to the drive I want it to go to?
Does one drive have to be filled before the system starts to use the second drive?

Can you go to storage manager and make sure the 1tb disk is initilized and ready? It's about 2 icons down from device manager in the console
m
l
September 1, 2011 10:36:17 AM

LEANGIMPY said:

You first have to initialize the second HD.

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Security link.

3. Click on the Administrative Tools.

4. Click on Computer Management.

5. Click on Disk Management

Locate your 1TB disk, right click and initialize/format it.

LEANGIMPY said:

During install of applications you should get the option of choosing which drive and folder to place them.
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2011 11:40:47 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've not used Windows7 before so it's a little strange.
Disc management shows both drives. The 120gb SSD is reserved together with 100mb (not gb's), with the 1tb of HDD as unallocated space. It seems that both drives are nominated as a single 'C' drive.
There doesn't appear to be any to be an 'initialize' option, but there is an option to 'format', but I can't think what that is for, unless it's for further partitioning, which is unwanted.
Have tried loading a game for the first time to see whether I'm given an option of which drive to allocate it to, but it doesn't, so the computer will continue using the SSD, and I prefer to save the reserved space on the SSD for more important documents. I want to use the HDD for games.
I'll check the formatting option out, but if you've any further suggestions, they'd be appreciated.
Thanks again.
m
l

Best solution

September 1, 2011 11:59:27 AM

Can you post a screenshot of the drive page. it should look like this

September 1, 2011 12:56:30 PM

LEANGIMPY said:
There doesn't appear to be any to be an 'initialize' option, but there is an option to 'format', but I can't think what that is for, unless it's for further partitioning, which is unwanted.

Yes, if the 1TB HDD is a new drive, you will want to use the format option to prepare it for usage.
m
l
September 1, 2011 1:38:20 PM

Tried earlier this morning to take a screenshot but keyboard 'print screen' does not initiate operation. Will try again later. Googled for alternative technique; found one but it was in vidio form, and my new sound card has a problem, so unfortunately couldn't comply.
Disc Management differences are:-

My Disc1 is the 120gb SSD healthy (boot, page file, etc.) - 'C' Drive. Similar to your Disc0.
My Disc0 is 'Unallocated' 1tb HDD section - It has no drive letter and is shaded 'Black' and not 'Dark Blue' as I think it should be. Your screenshot labels this section 'Healthy (Primary Partition)', and not 'Unallocated'.
Presumably it requires initiation as you suggest , but there is no option for this action in Disc Management.
Under 'Volume' there is no reference to the 1tb HDD drive, and there is no allocated drive letter either in Disc Management or in 'Computer'.
Incidentally, all programmes other than these show both drives are present, working correctly, with up to date drivers.
It would appear that the initiation would probably solve the problem, maybe it has to be done in DOS.
Thanks for your continued help.
m
l
September 1, 2011 2:26:21 PM

Problem now solved. There was a 'Wizzard' within disk management with an unrelated name that could be used for further partitioning. It enabled me to select the entire space and allocate it to a separate drive letter. It was then formatted. Can't get the wizzard back 'cos I've got no more unallocated space.
I've loaded a game onto that drive and it works OK.
Thanks for all your contributions, as always you are there with the help when we need it!
m
l
September 1, 2011 2:26:41 PM

Best answer selected by LEANGIMPY.
m
l
!