Performance problems with XFX Geforce 9600GT

G

Hello there :)

I just bought a new computer, here goes its config: Athlon II X2 240, 2x4gb Corsair XMS2 1066MHz, XFX Geforce 9600gt 512/256 (model = PV-T96G-YGF3). The OS is the Windows 7 Ultimate, and the power supply is a C3Tech 600w (actually, according to some tests, it supplies around 450w - but I think that would be enough since my computer isn't a high-end).

Well, I can't even play WoW in its maximum quality. Really annoying. Shadows, Ground Clutter Density in lowest quality, View Distance in almost that, with a 1280x1024 resolution, AA8x. It's a 2004 game, why the hell am I not able to play it in maximum options? :(

The other game I tested it in was Neverwinter Nights 2. I think that game can even be considered kinda old, and I'm NOT able to play it smoothly in best quality either(in the same resolution as WoW). Actually, it got really laggy even inside a CAVE, just because there was some water running through the walls.

I did everything I could think of. Updated drivers (I can't uninstall the old ones before installing the new one, the system insists on installing some driver automatically as soon as I uninstall it and restart the PC), tried to see if it was badly placed, tried to see if the temperatures were too high (like 55°C idle, 70-something°C when playing WoW - that may seem a lot, but I live in one of the hottest places in Brazil). So, here I am, since problem isn't solved :(

I was thinking if the lack of an extra supply entry would really make a difference. Maybe? What could be the problem?

4745454b

Titan
The first thought that comes to my mind is you have to much AA applied. Max out the details, then apply AA. 8xAA is probably using to much of your GPUs ram so it doesn't have enough left to process the details. 1280x1024 is a hair low, so you might want to set it at 2 or 4AA and see what details you can raise.

Other then that, I'm not sure what to suggest. Your CPU is a bit weak, but not to bad. I'm not sure the PSU is to blame either. Sure its bad, but its working right now so it might not be the problem. I'm thinking your just asking to much of your mid range card.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Your main problem is your 9600gt card. It sucks. Sorry to say it but it does. Youd be much better off selling it on ebay and spending a few $$ on a new card.

Heck Ive seent 4670's go for $40 on newegg(after rebates) that will give quite a bit better performance than that 9600.

G

>4746464b

I would say I'm asking too much of it if I was trying to play Crysis with all that. But not WoW :p

>cknobman

Well, I was going to buy the 4670 instead of the 9600gt, but then I saw the 9600gt going better than the 4670 in most of the tests. Later I saw it on Tom's Hardware "best cards for the money", so I just decided to have it :S

So, what did you mean by "my 9600gt"? You meant my specific model, or 9600gt's in general?

About those $40, well, they're converted to ~R$230 where I live. It sucks to live in Brazil when it comes to buying computers... haha

4745454b

Titan
Which wow? Original wow is pretty easy, WoTLK is a bit tougher on the hardware. Its also still a matter of not enough memory for 8x AA. And yes, the 9600GT is better then the 4670. The 4670 and the good 9600GSO are equals, the 9600GT is faster.