Core 2 duo, quad, or i7?

dibbs

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
I'm buying a new laptop. I'm looking at a:

core 2 quad 2ghz 6MB L3

or

i7 720 QM (1.6 ghz, 6MB cache).

both will have discrete graphics and 4GB RAM.

I'm a little confused as to which would be a faster system. I also don't know if i need to bother with quad core systems at all. would a core 2 duo be just as fast?

i use photoshop and pro audio software. i think PS will use more cores, but does it make sense overall to spend the coin on a quad core system? and if so, would the i7 be faster even though it's four cores run slower?

I guess what I'm asking is, where is the most value?

Solution

Well I say core i7 will be better. Yes it appears to be a slow quad, but with is turbo boost it can be:

In 4 and 3 core mode 1.7 ghz.

2 core mode...

Well I say core i7 will be better. Yes it appears to be a slow quad, but with is turbo boost it can be:

In 4 and 3 core mode 1.7 ghz.

2 core mode 2.4 ghz

1 core @ 2.8.

So in terms of speed. the core i7 will be faster than the core 2 duo. Against the quad, due to different architectures in the core i7's and core 2 duo/quads. The newer core i7 @ 1.6 GHz will probably feel just as fast as a core 2 quad @ 2 GHz.

Also the core i7 has hyper threading, with means 2 threads per core. To windows (like 7, vista, or XP) looks like extra cores.

Depending on price, pick on that most looks good for you. For a long term and/or fast laptop i pick the i7.

Solution

dibbs

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
thanks. i didn't know about the boost option for the i7. i suppose i can run in that mode until i use more software the will spread the load over more cores. i am looking for a long term machine. i was using a pentium M 1.6ghz till last week when it decided that it was cool to corrupt hard drives on a whim. jerk.

thanks again.

Those tasks benefit from QuadCore and between Q9000 and i7 720 go for i7 one which performs better

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Different markets.

i7 is currently for high end users, and the only Core 2 Duo I can recommend is the E8400 and only for people who run single-threaded apps and can overclock.

Sadly i can't really even recommend the i3 or lower-end i5's except in special situations.

The Core 2 Quads aren't worth it anymore, as the i5 outperforms them and AMD's CPUs are just so damn cheap. A triple core Athlon @ 3GHz for $100.

Laptops cpus,

Not desktop cpus. ;)

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
hey guys you all for got something..

what does he need it for.
how does he need to use it. -- is battery life important.

come on its all good recommending a dragster as a car but it wont take him to the shops very well...

dibbs

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

i sit at a desk or on the couch around the house. i'm not the coffee shop laptop toting type. i only take the thing out of the house for mobile recording.

Got a point. Didn't think about battery life.

anyways, haven't seen you in while hellboy. where yeah been?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

yeah fine thanks, happy new year and all that...

To be honest ive been ill... Had a virus that has lasted for about six weeks... was it swine flu- dunno. but i can tell you i wouldnt wish this on anyone.

its gone from ringing in the ears all over the holiday season to stuff i dont even want to talk about..

and no i havent even had one glass of wine or one pint of beer / bulmers cider :( - stocked up as well ....

Thats the trouble when you visit peoples houses repairing stuff, your prone to infections...

Oh... sorry to hear that. Well, at least your getting (if not) better now. Glad to be see you around here.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Intels answer to mobile core i 7 is not to far away... I bought a p4 laptop and hated every day i had it... It needed to be Pentium M series... a 1.7 Pentium M was faster than a 3.2 P4 due to heat throttling. and this sticks in my mind... big time..

the battery life was unusable. absolutely dire.... so i can safely say either go for a core 2 quad laptop processor based laptop which has a better even balance or wait a little longer for the new mobile i series. the core i 720 QM is almost here.

check out online other intel i core 7 laptops battery lifes and check reviews on google.

Google is your friend on this one as most as these laptops are still new not many people will have one..

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

just goes to show when you take your eye of the ball for a couple of weeks, some thing comes out and you dont even know its released..

I origionally was going to go on about a i-7 920 in a laptop. - now that will kill batteries in less than 30 mins...

will there be i-5 laptops - i recon so.... if its replacing core 2 duo so quick.