2 x 2GB + 2 x 1GB compatibility?

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hey guys, I'm going to be upgrading to windows 7 home premium or professional (64-bit) from xp home premium and I was thinking i'd be needing more RAM as windows 7 is more RAM intensive than XP.

My system is:
Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.2GHz
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H mobo
2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 Twin pc6400 C5
OCZ 600W Modular PSU.
Hitachi Deskstar 500GB HDD
9600GT

My motherboard can only run ddr2 ram, but it's so expensive now and I don't want to be spending a lot on RAM, so i only want 2 x 1GB sticks. Will this work with my other RAM & motherboard, as long as i pair them properly in the slots?

thanks in advance, cheers

Solution
Hi.

This are the requirements for Window 7

Windows 7 system requirements
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Additional requirements to use certain features:

Internet access (fees may apply)

Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware

Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance

For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and...
YEp - just be sure to get modules that are rated the same voltage and either the same or better timings and latencies as the old modules ( all of the modules on a system can only run at a single voltage and the timings are also set universally so the new modules must match or better the old ones in order to run at the proper settings without issues!!)

Hi.

This are the requirements for Window 7

Windows 7 system requirements
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Additional requirements to use certain features:

Internet access (fees may apply)

Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware

Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance

For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required

Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware

HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7

DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive

BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2

BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive

Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM and an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space.

Music and sound require audio output

Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.

So, IMO you don't need spend money to add more RAM, with the 4GB that you currently have is enough. I'm running Win 7 ultimate x64 with 4GB without problems.

Solution