Garbage View using Palit 9800GT Green Edition

zhihao

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Hi,

Im having problem with my Palit 9800GT Green Edition. After several minutes my screen suddenly goes garbage view. This happens even if im only browsing the internet. I reported this problem to the vendorand they said its probably Power Supply issue since im using only a generic 600 watts power supply. So I told them to come over to my place to check and suggested to them that they bring their own Branded Power Supply and another Palit 9800GT Green Edition.

First they installed the Branded Power Supply (HEC Couger 700 Watts) then test my computer and after several minutes "Boom" garbage view again... So I told the technical guy "Your Customer Service told me its probably power supply issue? so why is that same problem occur?" then he respond "Sir lets test our spare Palit 9800GT Green Edition" then we test again and after several minutes "BOOM" garbage view again... So i asked the guy what could be the problem and he told me probably its my motherboard. I laugh at him and show him my other Palit 9800GT (Not Green Edition) and we test it on my computer using my generic power supply. We test it by playing with NBA 2K10 at Maximum settings, he was surprise that for 30 minutes no problem occur. He told me that his going to report first the issue on their supplier.

Is there any of you experienced this problem? Is there any tweaks for this? I already tried reinstalling my OS, trying new Video card driver but still same issue occur...

Processor: e7500 2.93 Ghz @ stock
Motherboard: MSI P43
Memory: 2Gb Kingston
HDD: 250Gb Seagate
Generic: 600 watts (Techwill)

TEMPLAR_63

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Hi There,

I have the exact graphics Card, and had the same problems witt BIOSHOCK (1 & 2), RUGBY 2008 and a few other games as well. It's got absolutely nothing to do with your Power Supply, OS, Memory, Motherboard etc...

The solution is quite easy really, takes a bit of tweeking...

Your going to have to "undeclock" your card, by about 2%...

I guess either the stock cooling isnt really cut out to handle the extra MHZ's.. even increasing the fan speed to 100% doesn't work.

But relax... The performance loss isnt that bad really.... You won't notice the difference...

I've you want a walkthrough oin how to do it, email me at jedemeyer1@gmail.com

Cheers!

glitch19

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Nah i had that card running on dual boot xp & win7 started edition (i don't need aero) for almost 2 yrs most of it on xp played all my games on both os for comparison played crysis, bioshock 1, mw2 , nba2k10, farcry 2, sf4 & now batman arkham asylum w/ max settings 1440x900 19'inch lcd had no problems w/ it :sol: except if I play for about 2 hrs straigth goes bsod because of the heat, but is fixed easily if I open my chassis door its only running on a stock cooler I only have a generic 500 watts psu ,2s gig generic 667 ddr2, MCP6PB M2+ Biostar mobo w/ x2 7750 black edition 2.7ghz slightly oc it to 3ghz (can't go higher coz of my poor cooling) I really love this card played around overclocked it to stable enough to run almost as fast a normal 9800gt as long as my chassis door is open runs fine comparing my rig to you guys shows that you don't really need expensive gear to run those games w/ max settings you problem may the drivers incompatibilty between mobo & gpu just make sure they're both uptodate , also try to check if you have new firmware rev for you mobo I used to work for dell xps series desktops & laptops I found out that those firmware updates really fixes alot of compatibility bugs pardon my english not my native tounge :bounce

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I'm guessing that most of those cards that have the issue are just under-volted more than the GPU can handle for the clock speeds they are trying to run. The 9800GT Green editions are underclocked and undervolted cards, so they are likely under-volted a little too much. I would guess that if you can increase the voltage a little, your problems will go away. Overall though- if you need a "green" card, just buy one that uses less power rather than getting a "green" version of a card because those are just crippled versions of a better card.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Well, the issue comes down to this- if you increase the voltage too much you'll overdraw what the PCI-e slot can provide in terms of power. since the 9800GT generally requires an external connector, they may have undervolted it just to the point where they could remove the connector, so you may not be able to increase the voltage without adding a connector, which means you may have to settle for underclocking. You could try overvolting though, but you'll for sure need a program like MSI-afterburner or Riva-tuner or something like that, but even still, may need to edit the BIOS to have access to it, which is something I've never done, and may not be worth trying. Probably best and easiest thing to do is underclock. If that solves the problem, then I'd RMA the card so you can run it at stock speeds without having to worry about a volt mod.

TEMPLAR_63

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

Thanks will settle for Underclocking now, will buy a new Card later this year anyway, thanks for the help

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
no problem. In the future I'd advise you to stay away from the Green version cards- if you need lower power usage, just buy one that was originally designed for lower power (IE- Radeon 5670 which was designed without ever needing an external power connector.)