Will AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad work with this Biostar motherboard?

First off, Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Ok, I have a question on if this cpu will work with this motherboard.

I have a Biostar MCP6P m2+ motherboard. I would like to install a:

AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor - 2.40GHz, 2MB L3 Cache, 3600 MT/s FSB, Quad-Core, Socket AM2+, OEM Processor, 95watts, item number A79-9752.

The cpu is on TigerDirect.

I looked on the Biostar website and it seems like it would work but I don't want to order it only to find out that I need to send it back.

One other question. I have an AMD X2 4200 cpu installed on the motherboard now, will I have to update the bios before I install the Phenom? I looked on the Biostar website and didn't see an update.

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about will phenom 9750 quad work biostar motherboard
  1. GetItRight said:
    First off, Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Ok, I have a question on if this cpu will work with this motherboard.

I have a Biostar MCP6P m2+ motherboard. I would like to install a:

AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor - 2.40GHz, 2MB L3 Cache, 3600 MT/s FSB, Quad-Core, Socket AM2+, OEM Processor, 95watts, item number A79-9752.

The cpu is on TigerDirect.

I looked on the Biostar website and it seems like it would work but I don't want to order it only to find out that I need to send it back.

One other question. I have an AMD X2 4200 cpu installed on the motherboard now, will I have to update the bios before I install the Phenom? I looked on the Biostar website and didn't see an update.

Thanks

I don't why it wouldn't work. Biostar's website says that board should support AMD Phenom X4. It recommends that you use a 95W CPU which that CPU is... I think your good to go...

Otherwise, it should also support the AMD Athlon X2 chip also.

AJ
  2. Click the BIOS tab at http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=370

When you click the CPU Support tab, it says "If you plan to upgrade processor from your existing unit, please update bios first before changing or upgrading processors."
  3. Quote:
    When you click the CPU Support tab, it says "If you plan to upgrade processor from your existing unit, please update bios first before changing or upgrading processors.

Yes I seen that too. Only problem is, the website doesn't offer an update as far as I can see. Now if the new cpu comes with an update then I can use that to update but I don't think they offer updates do they?
  4. What do you mean? The BIOS file can be download by clicking 61PBM903.BSS or the Zip icon under Download. There's no such thing as a BIOS update. The current one always is replaced.

Edit: Also download and read the PDF.
  5. Hi GhislainG
    Yes I have that bios 61PBM903.BSS installed.
    In my opinion if you install a newer version that's called an update. I guess when it comes to a cpu it's not called an update, sorry about that, I didn't know.

So if I'm current with my bios then I can just drop the cpu in and I'm good to go right?

Thanks
  6. That's correct.
  7. Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like I'm getting a new CPU :)
  8. AthlonII 620 Propus or hang on for the C3 Phenom X2 555 and try to unlock that suckah ...

edit: Ooops ... Just realized that's a GeForce 6150 / 430 mobo --- no unlocking but the 555 would be a champ for gaming, video encoding, not so much ....
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Biostar Motherboards Phenom Product