cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
hey guys a while back i overclocked my comp to 4.5ghz using fixed mode, and i was looking into using offset.

as i understood i had a VID of 1.3761 and core was 1.232 (both under load). so i got the vid1.3761 - core1.232 = -0.1441 right?

i chuck it in as -.145 and save and restart. when i get an error of 3 words like "check machine error" (something about machine error).

so i revert back to original OC fixed settings.

can anyone help me out, cause i think im doing it right.

thanks

im using i5-2500k and asrock p67 extreme 4 mmotherboard. my voltage was at 1.3/1.31 but when running prime, hw monitor/cpuz doesnt go that high, only up to 1.224/1.232 under full load

cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
ok thats working though its getting about 10c more hotter this time running prime ( 66,74,74,69) and fixed mode was running around 62/64 i think. at full load the voltage is 1.416v and the vid is 1.3811. i did see the max voltage its been was 1.48v.

is this fine or should it be lowered/raised (not sure to lower the volts).

or will its voltage be lower if im not using its max ptoential and its high cause of prime? and it will be lower a lot of the times?

Um, okay something is wrong. With my core i5 and that offset I get about 1.33v maximum. Those are dangerous voltages! Change it! I guess just low the offset voltage until you find the correct voltage. Lower the offset and boot into the BIOS and it should tell you the maximum offset voltage. (it should run at max voltage in the BIOS) Try to keep the voltage down to around 1.38v maximum with a hefty OC.

cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
ok i havnt did that yet cause isnt there only: offset,auto and fixed? (will check in a sec)

but i just noticed that for the last few days every time i wake up in the morning and turn my comp on: i press the power button and 2 seconds laters itll just power off, then reboot itsself about another 2-3 seconds later and itll be fine.

i dont think it happen when i just reboot the comp, only when i start it up each morning?

EDIT: ok i changed llc to lvl 3 with still fixed voltage at 1.3/1.31 and temps seem fine, voltage is staying at 1.28 and sometimes dropping to 1.272 while it says the max was 1.31. the vid is 1.3811

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

That is probably the "double boot" that happens on p67 boards. Mine did it also, the remedy unfortunately is to disable PLL Overvoltage. Or, just live with it since it doesn't really hurt anything. Its more of an annoyance than anything.

cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
still the same. i tried lowering the voltage on offset mode to +0.33 and the voltage was 1.5.. turned comp off right after i saw that.

is my comp problem with turning on anything to do with thise overclocking? (hmm il lrevert back to original and see what happens)

whts the overvoltage do anyway?

edit: at the start of the thread i said vid was 1.3761

cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

ok i tried disbling pll overvoltage but that still didnt work.

i did reset to defaults and that seemed to fix it. also changing the llc level back to 5 wasnt the answer. its weird as it only seemed to happen the other day. would it be something to do with the voltage level?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I researched it a lot and found some good links to things other people have done to solve it. I'll see if I can find those links and post them here for you.

Edit:

haha nvm what I posted before lol

Disabling PLL Overvoltage was the solution to the p67 mobos not recovering form sleep mode :na:

The double boot issue happens when the BLCK is not set to 100. Just make sure it is and you should be good. Or, just let it double boot if you want to raise above 100.

cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
^ haha :p

ive always left it at 100, as ive read everywhere not to change it, only the multiplier. might try fiddling more with changing one setting at a time. so the double boot wont hurt my system?

EDIT: ok so i fiddled around and by disabling spread spectrum it fixed the double boot thing. i dont know what that does. wait no i set it to auto, cause disabling made it double boot:) is setting it to auto bad for overclocking?

still cant get that offset right.. set it to .2 and its still up in the 1.47 range

Pure Gore

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Here is a laugh.

Running a I5........cpu offset to...minus - 0.110 she steps down to...ready ready... (core volt 0.896 in idle) and steps up to upon full 100% load in Ibt to ready ready.... 1.232v on a 4.2g overclock.... :eek: Stable like a rock :sarcastic:

Yes your scratching your head......so did I.......and I have checked the numbers again and again....same results....so this is not in error/also several reboots to confirm using Cpuz and Core temp......

I see some of you just minus-ing - 0.030........you can go a hell of alot lower than that before you hit the floor meaning your I5 can Idle at a low volt.....no load.....and increase the life of your cpu... and if your cheap and want to lower your energy bill...over time, and if you leave your machine on all the time....24/7 guess you may see a diff.

Every cpu will be different and may idle a bit higher or a bit lower if your lucky.....lower
Remember to get your base volts...under load...ibt is good and Prime...look at your vid and core volts....under full load.
I put my phase control to Optimized once I got the vid and core volts..it seems to be working like a charm.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/42g.png/

I just think you can do a hell of alot better than -0.030 for a offset....... I fart more power than 0.030
The worst that can happen is it Bsod`s if you go to low with the offset....but folks at least try -0.060 and if no bsod....try -0.080........then Ibt or prime........see if she is stable...and will also Idle.....with no bsod....if it does then less offset.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by.

Gore

cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
nice background :)

how are you suppose to work out your offset voltage? i tried and didnt work?
though when overclocking i dont think i really notice much of a difference?

another thing, i was playing bf2:pr tonight and 3.8 of 4gb of ram was been used up, making it laggy. i know a restart wouldve fixed this (did it before) but it was like 3am so i mightve as well gone to bed haha. ive had this once before and i theres nothing in task manager using all that resource.. even when i close everything down manually its still using a LOT of ram?

Pure Gore

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
How can it possibly be not good for my cpu.................not to be rude but even if you set the offset to auto it will drop down considerably on its own.
And you speak of spikes not being good for our cpu.....well you better turn of stepping in the bios then.....your cpu ivy or haswell will idle stock at 1.6gig and when loaded up hit 3.7gig on load.........and take the voltage up to do that...and thats stock my Russian Friend out of the box.

However if your just surfing the internet........1.6gig is fine........if gaming it will load to what you have the cpu set up to do, I did not buy this gear to run stock no no no.....Ef that...but look at the pic, and the temps top left aida..............tell me do you want to play a game...muh ha ha aaah

Offsets are a good thing if your not a pwr user, save the hydro bill and your psu some work.

http://imageshack.com/a/img513/9207/9am3.png