Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Right now my system specs are as follows

Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
4 GB DDR2
Nvidia 9800GT 512 Mb
Windows XP Pro
650 W psu

So running this setup I have issues with modern games like C&C Tiberium wars, Risen, and Borderlands. They CPU seems to be Spiking while running the game but There is no upgrade i can get for it. I was thinking of updating the graphics to a Nvidia GTX 260. My main board is x16 no 2.0 so not sure if this will help or not this is why im asking you. Im looking to be able to play the next generation games at a better level no more choppy. But i also do not have the money right now to build a new one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Well in my opinion upgrade your CPU to a faster model like Core2 series or i5/i7(if u can afford them)it will give u a good boost in overall computing like games,apps,etc
For VGA,PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatible with PCI-E 1.0 but as i said its better to upgrade the CPU first
Well in my opinion upgrade your CPU to a faster model like Core2 series or i5/i7(if u can afford them)it will give u a good boost in overall computing like games,apps,etc
For VGA,PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatible with PCI-E 1.0 but as i said its better to upgrade the CPU first

Solution

bvote86

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Yeah that is what i was thinking maybe i can save a little green by getting a cheaper bored with an i7 then later buy the GPU. Do you think i will not see any increase in gameplay? Its not like I cannot play the Games they are just choppy and seem to be laggy but without being on the internet.

If you keep your current CPU and get a GTX 260,it will give u a boost in gaming but in some games your CPU will hold you back(like GTA IV and almost all new RTS games)so its better to get a new CPU and then get a new GPU

Jaysin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009

This. It doesn't make sense to bottleneck your system when that extra cash for a high end GPU could be served being put towards a platform change with your mobo/ram/cpu to further the life of your PC.

bvote86

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Ok got my new parts today i went light and got a Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz and a new board with it. Overall i can run Crysis on high with my GPU even tho it is unsupported but as soon as some more green comes my way i will get that GTX 260. Thanks for your help guys