Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking E4400

Last response: in Overclocking
February 8, 2012 1:31:36 AM

I wish to overclock E4400 as I've heard that it's got very good OC capabilities.
Currently using Asus P5N73-AM MB; from what I've read all around, this MB can be OC-d, but I'd need a new graphic card.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance -- your assistance will be very appreciated! :??: 

More about : overclocking e4400

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a c 107 U Graphics card
February 8, 2012 1:52:57 AM

Get a good aftermarket cooler. If you have a case on the smaller side or you just want to be on the safe side go with a 92mm cooler. If you have a larger case then it's better to get a 120mm cooler. Basically if the back of your case has a 120mm fan, and I don't mean it just barley fits, you can probably use a 120mm cooler. Read an overclocking guide before you go cranking it up so you don't fry anything. I'd say in general a GTX 460 1GB or a Radeon 6850 would be a good match for an overclocked core 2. What's your budget for a video card and what resolution do you want to play at? What PSU do you have?
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2012 2:32:58 AM

:hello:  Welcome to the forums.

You do not need a new video card to overclock the CPU.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (generic guide based on an Asus motherboard)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...
Use this for the basic principles and testing. Don't worry about the BIOS settings. Your board is very different.

Most motherboards work with the FSB frequency. nVidia chipsets use the FSB clock which is 4 times higher. The E4400 has a 200 MHz FSB frequency and an 800 MHz FSB clock.

Go to Chapter 2.4 in your manual. If you do not have one, you can download it from here:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5N73...

Select the BIOS Advanced tab, then Jumper free. Set FSB-Memory Clock Mode to Linked and set the FSB:Memory ratio to 1:1. Now you can start increasing the FSB freq. With a little bit of luck (depending on your CPU), you will be able to go from stock 800 MHz to 1200 MHz (3.0 GHz CPU core speed).

I would recommend working in 50 MHz increments. Sooner or later, you will need to start increasing CPU core voltage.

Keep your core voltage under 1.50 volts and your load temps under 70 C.
Related resources
February 15, 2012 11:18:27 AM

Thanks for your quick replies and sorry for the delay in mine.

@megamanx00: I need this so I could edit videos in Premiere Pro without freezing, and doing some animations as I've started doing it much recently. I think there is a case cooler but I doubt it's more than 80mm in diameter. Should I buy the new CPU cooler and which?

@jsc: Thanks for the detailed instructions. Is the Asus manual the only document I need from there? Also, does the CPU core voltage automatically increase as the CPU speed rises?

Also, one very important question: would it be smart to invest in a new MB which supports DDR3, and would things be even faster then?

Thanks again for your replies. :hello: 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a c 107 U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 3:44:25 AM

What case do you have? What PSU do you have? If you're primary concern is Adobe Premiere then I would go nVidia just for the CUDA plugins.
!