Highs Athlon x4 clock?

jamethead

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Hey guys, i have a little bit of knowledge for overclocking, i have my athlon II x4 640 3.0ghz at 3.6ghz stable 24/7 with 13c temps on a cold day, and on 32c days around 34c MAX ever, i have the cooler master evo 212, but anyway, im just wondering how high can i expect to overclock, or how high have you heard of this processor going?

all answers good or bad welcome : )

supermanu15

Distinguished

i just recently read an article yesterday where somebody raised it all the way up to 3.767+ something so when you get to round it off you get 3.8 as the safest ceiling to overclock the thing because i have the same CPU so i researched on the safest overclocking range the thing can operate at a stable manner,i am not pretty sure about my cooler though but i got discouraged because of the fact that it cuts your processor's life in half :( maybe you can change my mind and teach me how to overclock the thing while keeping its duration the same?like should i go only for 3.3 or 3.4 GHz? :)

jamethead

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Thanks for your answer, in regards to how high you should go, well i only bought my cooler about 2 months ago purely because it was on sale, 3.4ghz stock cooler, perfect, 3.6 or rather 3.555 which is what im at some reason 3.600 exactly blue screens me, but i have ran it at 3.555 on the stock cooler with the highest temp under prime 95 being around 49c, so id say you could go to 3.555 as well make sure you either bring the ram multiplier back down so your ram sits around 1313 instead of 1333 ( if you have 1333 ram ) or if you leave it on the stock multiplier your ram will be up at around 1600mhz thats ok, i did it for a while, you just need to bump the voltage a tad, i hope what i just wrote makes sense, so 3.6ghz is perfect on stock cooler altho if your case has not so good air flow or the cooler is full of dust, then you may want to clean it