Power Supply Ticking Noise

Hi All

I recently purchase a Toshiba Satellite - P25 Series.

Last night Inoticed that when the laptop was turned of the power supply was
making a loud ticking noise, if I unplug the power supply from the laptop it
stops or if I unplug the supply from the mains it stops.

Any ideas ? ?
Is this unsfae to use ??

Thanks for your help .

CJ
1 answer Last reply
More about power supply ticking noise

    > Last night Inoticed that when the laptop was turned of the power supply was
    > making a loud ticking noise, if I unplug the power supply from the laptop it
    > stops or if I unplug the supply from the mains it stops.

    It depends, really, on exactly how loud it is. The power supply, being a
    switchmode power supply, is sophisticated, and depending on the required
    power output it changes modes. When the laptop is off and doing nothing,
    it still takes a tiny amount of power from the power supply. The power
    supply will thus switch on very briefly but often, which is the ticking
    noise you describe. So that's the idea.

    > Any ideas ? ?
    > Is this unsfae to use ??

    If it is very loud, it could mean that it's not in great condition and
    may need to be replaced. I doubt that it is unsafe if you are near it,
    but there is a small possibility that it would be a fire risk so
    probably don't leave it unattended unless you're confident it's ok.

    a bad sign and get it looked at before you leave it plugged in by itself.

    Cheers, hope that helped a bit though I know it's far from conclusive advice
    Peter

Laptops Power Supplies Toshiba