Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crucial M4 not at speed on sata 3

Last response: in Storage
September 1, 2011 8:58:01 PM

I have a MSI P67-G80 mother board and a Crucial M4 256gb SSD. I get only about 260mbps read and 220 write. My read is to low and seems to be at sata 2 speed. Is there anything I need to do with settings? I am using the supplied sata 3 cable sent with my MB and I am plugged in on the sata 3. Whats going on?

More about : crucial speed sata

a b V Motherboard
a c 504 G Storage
September 1, 2011 9:32:27 PM

What SATA mode were you in when you installed your o/s on your SSD? You need to be in AHCI mode for best performance.

Also, double-check that your SSD is plugged into port SATA1 or SATA2.
September 1, 2011 9:46:16 PM

I was not in AHCI when installing Windows. Yes I am plugged in the SATA 3 port. I guess I will have to do a clean install. Will this work for sure?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 504 G Storage
September 1, 2011 9:56:38 PM

No need to do a clean install. See Post #2 of this link to edit Windows Registry settings. http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

After you perform the edit reboot into BIOS and change the SATA mode to AHCI.
When you boot back into Windows download and install the latest Intel RST drivers.
September 1, 2011 10:55:18 PM

It now reads to 428mps but wont pass the Windows experience index test because I cant get the driver to update. Can you point me to the right RST drivers because when I try to load the one I found, it keeps saying I have the latest driver which is five years old.
a b V Motherboard
a c 504 G Storage
September 1, 2011 11:03:25 PM

hugabone said:
It now reads to 428mps but wont pass the Windows experience index test because I cant get the driver to update. Can you point me to the right RST drivers because when I try to load the one I found, it keeps saying I have the latest driver which is five years old.

Here's the link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?Produc...

The 1st file is English only, the 2nd is Multi-language.
September 1, 2011 11:17:44 PM

Thanks, what happened was when I was pointing to the wrong folder. The driver is now installed but it doesnt complete the Window Experience Index though.
a b V Motherboard
a c 504 G Storage
September 1, 2011 11:23:10 PM

Did you reboot after installing the drivers?
September 1, 2011 11:30:19 PM

Several times, I did turn on hot plugging in Bios what ever that is. It still doesnt complete the Index.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 504 G Storage
September 1, 2011 11:34:29 PM

Sorry, can't help you there. Might wanna start another thread in the Windows section of the Forum.

If you can't get an answer a clean install might be your only solution.
September 12, 2011 12:43:14 AM

Best answer selected by hugabone.
!