Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crucial M4 not at speed on sata 3

Last response: in Storage
September 1, 2011 8:58:01 PM

I have a MSI P67-G80 mother board and a Crucial M4 256gb SSD. I get only about 260mbps read and 220 write. My read is to low and seems to be at sata 2 speed. Is there anything I need to do with settings? I am using the supplied sata 3 cable sent with my MB and I am plugged in on the sata 3. Whats going on?

More about : crucial speed sata

a b V Motherboard
a c 544 G Storage
September 1, 2011 9:32:27 PM

What SATA mode were you in when you installed your o/s on your SSD? You need to be in AHCI mode for best performance.

Also, double-check that your SSD is plugged into port SATA1 or SATA2.
m
l
September 1, 2011 9:46:16 PM

I was not in AHCI when installing Windows. Yes I am plugged in the SATA 3 port. I guess I will have to do a clean install. Will this work for sure?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 544 G Storage
September 1, 2011 9:56:38 PM

No need to do a clean install. See Post #2 of this link to edit Windows Registry settings. http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

After you perform the edit reboot into BIOS and change the SATA mode to AHCI.
When you boot back into Windows download and install the latest Intel RST drivers.
m
l
September 1, 2011 10:55:18 PM

It now reads to 428mps but wont pass the Windows experience index test because I cant get the driver to update. Can you point me to the right RST drivers because when I try to load the one I found, it keeps saying I have the latest driver which is five years old.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 544 G Storage
September 1, 2011 11:03:25 PM

hugabone said:
It now reads to 428mps but wont pass the Windows experience index test because I cant get the driver to update. Can you point me to the right RST drivers because when I try to load the one I found, it keeps saying I have the latest driver which is five years old.

Here's the link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?Produc...

The 1st file is English only, the 2nd is Multi-language.
m
l
September 1, 2011 11:17:44 PM

Thanks, what happened was when I was pointing to the wrong folder. The driver is now installed but it doesnt complete the Window Experience Index though.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 544 G Storage
September 1, 2011 11:23:10 PM

Did you reboot after installing the drivers?
m
l
September 1, 2011 11:30:19 PM

Several times, I did turn on hot plugging in Bios what ever that is. It still doesnt complete the Index.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 544 G Storage
September 1, 2011 11:34:29 PM

Sorry, can't help you there. Might wanna start another thread in the Windows section of the Forum.

If you can't get an answer a clean install might be your only solution.
September 12, 2011 12:43:14 AM

Best answer selected by hugabone.
m
l
!