Random Freezing (Still need help, another link too)

ricky86

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Update: The BIOS update did not work
Here is a link to a new thread with more information
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277962-31-freezing-ruining

I have been having random freezing problems with my PC.
I went through 3 different CPU/Mobo/Ram combination, and tried a new hard drive too, still having freezing problems.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
Mobo: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
RAM: Mushkin HP3-10666 DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 36Gig 10,000RPM WD for Windows
500 Gb WD 7,200RPM Black Edition
500 Gb Seagate 7,200RPM
1 Tb WD Mybook
GFX: Asus EVGA GTX 260
PSU: Anatec Earthwatts 500 watt

The store I am going to purchase from is http://www.memoryexpress.com
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

ricky86

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
It freezes with my Geforce 9800 GT Super Clocked too.
I have that removed and running with on board ATi 4200 now.

I was planning on buying a 750 watt power supply.
I just bought a new harddrive thinking that was the problem :cry:

Everything is new except now except the power supply, Its been around for a long assss time. I took it out of my brothers system when I upgraded his AMD 2600+ (IIRC) system that we put a big power supply in years ago.

The CPU/Mobo/ram has been replaced twice, so I am fairly sure it is not them.
I thought it was my old internal/external drive but I am still having freezing without either of those drives connected.

The only other Power supply I have access to without buying a new one is a Dynex 450 Watt Power supply.

Aside from that this is the power supply I was thinking of getting: Antec EarthWatts EA 750W Power Supply w/ Quad +12V
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX24742%28ME%29.aspx
and possibly find another EVGA GTX 260 216 and run in SLI if all my current setup/power supply above would be okay

Thanks!!

ricky86

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
No, all I did was disable the on board video, install the Nvidia GFX card and then start Windows installation, so AFAIK there was no ATI drivers installed until I removed the 9800 GT last night to see if the system would run without freezing on the on board video.

< edit> It froze with the onboard video last night after being on for about 45 minutes.
So I figured it was the one item not yet replaced, the power supply.

ricky86

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Just installed a new Corsair 650w HX.
Windows 7 froze during setup screen before touching anything. :eek: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou:

Anyone have any ideas?
The system is completely brand new now besides this stupid PC case I have.

If it freezes again I am going to switch the power bar that the computer is plugged into, but this is probably not it as I have used another power bar with previous setups at my brothers house and still had freezing issues.

At first I thought it was bad CPU/Ram/Mobo, so they were exchanged.
2nd set of hardware froze at same point of Windows XP setup.
I have the 3rd set of CPU/Ram/Mobo now,
bought new power supply, and harddrive thinking that was the problem.

Can anyone help?
I initially planned on spending $400 to upgrade my PC a bit, now I have spent easily over $700 and it freezes randomly. :fou: :fou:

Thanks in advance for any help

ricky86

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Is it possible for a case fan or two to make a PC freeze?
They are about 3-4 year old Antec 120mm case fans, I just noticed a minute ago while rebooting my PC that the fan seemed loud and was making some weird squeaking noises so I unplugged them both.

Damn this is annoying!!!!

ricky86

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I updated the BIOS on my motherboard M4A785TD-V EVO and have finally copied some files from my 1TB WD External drive. So far it would appear that the BIOS update fixed the random freezing problem