Does motherboard generally come with screws?

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Today I bought my first mobo gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h ($125 for those whos interested) and either it didn't come with screws or i lost them the second I opened the box.. so do mobo generally comes with screws? or it's something I have to get myself... :( -new to all this pc stuff-

Solution

Yep -- just make sure that you put them in the proper places for the type MOBO you have (most cases will have holes for ATX and Micro-ATX and you want to use only the ones for the proper type depending on what MOBO you have (using the ones for a micro-ATX MOBO when using an ATX MOBO will leave 2 standoffs in the wrong place in the center of the MOBO and can cause a short so be sure to check and ensure that the holes in the MOBO line up correctly with where you have the standoffs (also it is best to use all of the ones that the MOBO has positions for - so that the MOBO will not warp under the weight of things like the...

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006

I forget for absolutely sure but I know the case should come with risers and screws either come with mobo or case. Either way they should be there somewhere. If they are lost, I'm sure you could pick up some cheap spares at a local store.

claykirk13

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Yeah, I've never seen a mobo come with screws. Your case will usually have standoffs so your motherboard sort of hangs on the wall of your case without touching it. Those standoffs come with screws that fit into them. You can get the screws and/or standoffs at pretty much any computer component supplier. I'd try Newegg :)

ronss

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
screws are not usually included with motherboards purchase....i have bought 30, and never have got them.....when you buy a new computer case...sometimes screws come with em......otherwise you can get them from a computer store...etc....

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Purchased a few hundred motherboards over 15 years. Never got screws with a motherboard. Conversely, I can only remember one or two times that I didn't get screws with a case, and those were a packaging error/oversight (IOW, the case was supposed to include them but someone didn't put them in).

Yep - just make a trip to a local used system seller\repair shop and they should have plenty of them and will usually either give them to you or sell them to you cheap !! - IF not then just buy the cheapest new\used case you can find and it should include them as well !

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
wintermint- normally the screws come with the case. If you got a new mobo, I assume you are going to put it into a case of some sort- either a new case, which ought to have screws with it, or replacing the mobo in an older case, which you should then just be able to use the same screws the old mobo was secured with.

esiuda

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
The stand-offs and screws come with the case, not the motherboard,

Since you are new....Make sure you use the stand-offs that came with your case, do not mount the motherboard directly to the case without using the stand-offs! You will short out your board!

If you did not get stand-offs with your case, be carefull! They come in different heights! You need the size that will bring the motherboard to the correct height for everything to line up to.

The red circled things in this pic !!
14.jpg

THey are made of brass and provide a grounding spot for the MOBO to attach to the case while at the same time keeping the solder points on the back of the MOBO from touching the metal portion of the case causing a short !

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

So I pretty much line up the holes on the motherboard with the things you circle then screw the nails in?? :O

Yep -- just make sure that you put them in the proper places for the type MOBO you have (most cases will have holes for ATX and Micro-ATX and you want to use only the ones for the proper type depending on what MOBO you have (using the ones for a micro-ATX MOBO when using an ATX MOBO will leave 2 standoffs in the wrong place in the center of the MOBO and can cause a short so be sure to check and ensure that the holes in the MOBO line up correctly with where you have the standoffs (also it is best to use all of the ones that the MOBO has positions for - so that the MOBO will not warp under the weight of things like the addon cards etc.)

Solution