Overclocking Core2Quad Q9400

enterprise

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hello everyone :hello:
I have problem with overclocking my CPU(Core2Quad Q9400) from stock 2,66 to atleast 3,20 GHz. I tryed to increse FSB but when it goes more than 343 the system didn't boot and restart with stock settings. Then i tryed with increseing core and DRAM voltage but again the same problem. I also try different dram settings but AGAIN nothing. Now it stays with OC at 2,74Ghz and I can't go higher. If someone could help me with this OC I will be very gratefull. :) :)

My configuration:
CPU: Core2Quad Q9400 2,66GHZ(stock cooler)
MB: Gigabyte G41MT-D3V
RAM: Corsair 2x4GB 1333 Mhz Dual Channel

If anything other is needed I will post it :D

OCing is trial and error. Try the FSB to something between 380 and 401.
Reset the speed RAM to its rated speed (1333MHz) or a little lower.

You may also need to increase the northbridge voltage an increment or two.
Increase the CPU voltage to ~1.3V

enterprise

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi
Today I tried to OC my PC like you said. I restored my bios settings and then tryed again with this one you said me. The PC boot normally untill I put FSB to 344 and it didn't boot. I also set CPU core voltage to 1.3V but I can't set northbridge voltage.
I can change only RAM voltage and CPU termination(don't know what is this :D)
I'm starting to think that I have problem with motherboard, despite that in the store they said me this MB is good for OC...

Thank you for your response:)

overclocking_blues

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hi , I also have this same cpu and exact same mobo. I have the exact same problem you have, anytime I increase the FSB to try and overclock this Q9400 cpu, it crashes the system in Windows... even at a measly 2.70 Ghz overclock!! ( stock cpu speed is 2.66 Ghz ). This mobo is very limited in overclocking options!! Since we both have same problem I conclude this mobo is no good for overclocking Intel quad socket 775 cpu's ... too bad...at least it works fine at stock speed... :cry:

Dark Clocker

Honorable
May 19, 2012

Intel g41 chipset has a hard fsb wall at 344 mhz, there is no way (not that i know of at least) to get past that, my only thought would be a modified bios but certenly not worth it. If you are so eager to overclock just find a cheap p965/p35 or at best a p45 mobo. Good luck