noobz1lla

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Hey guys ok I thought I had the perfect motherboard picked out but I was reading reviews on newegg and people kept complaining that they couldn't set up RAID on the SATA III Marvell controller.

Now I don't plan on setting up SATA III RAID right off the bat, but I'd like to at some point during the life of this platform.

Can you guys suggest some good X58 mobos. I'd like to stick with Asus or Gigabyte because they have the longest warranties at 3 years. Evga gives you a measly 1 year. Also none of Evga boards support USB/SATA III.

Thanks

BTW the mobo I'm referring to is this. The Asus P6X58D Premium.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

Does anyone know if the UD3 suffers from the same SATA III RAID limitation? They both use the Marvell controller so I guess so?

I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.

Lord Steve

--

Sent from my iPhone

Imo, SATA III isn't matured yet and I personally wouldn't do a SATA III RAID set up until the next chipset revision. The last thing I need is a corrupted array.

That ASUS is a good board and I'd get it. However, keep in mind that SATA III is relatively new and I recommend waiting until the next chipset/BIOS revision before doing RAID on SATA III.

noobz1lla

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

So it's not just Asus? No board supports SATA III in RAID? I understand the technology it's in it's infancy but I only do so many platform upgrades in my life. I might as well wait for the next revision I guess.

Also is the Marvell controller that bad? I think I remember people complaining about it. But from what I've seen there aren't really any alternatives.

^ There are boards that support SATA III RAID well, however, their relatively long term reliability is still unknown. This was the case with SATA I/II also.

Also is the Marvell controller that bad? I think I remember people complaining about it. But from what I've seen there aren't really any alternatives.
There really aren't many options available to replacing the Marvell controller(s).