New gaming rig

h11

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Closer the better. BUDGET RANGE: £1000-1300

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, and a bit of watching movies.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitors, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon, eBuyer COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: -

OVERCLOCKING: Possibly SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2x 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm looking to be able to run games like GTA IV well, I can just about run it with my current system but it looks terrible and lags often. Not particularly bothered about case 'bling', but I'd rather not just have a big plain box.

Also, I might as well ask this while I'm here. Has anybody in the UK used eBuyer? I've heard them mentioned a lot and heard a lot of mixed reviews about their review, but I'm aware that Amazon are probably not the best place out there for components.

novatech.co.uk is decent as well.

This is what I'd recommend, and would have bought to play GTAIV if my own budget had been more extensive.

CPU - Probably go for the i7 920 seeing as the 1156 socket is dodgy under oc'ing, get the OEM one if you are going to get a CPU cooler, to aid in oc'ing £200 - £210
MOBO - Asus P6T SE Intel x58 £144
You could go for a cheaper one here, but this is good quality.
RAM - Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6GB (3x2GB) £110
As much RAM as you will need, with good latencies and timings.
GPU - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 £310
Best single GPU around atm.
PSU - Corsair TX 650W £72
No room for crossfiring with this PSU, which you didn't want anyway. From a good, reliable brand.
HDD - WD 500GB Caviar Blue 7200 RPM £38
You can change this as well, but I've picked out a good one that's a decent price.
CASE - I think that this should really be your choice, but this is a good cheap one: Antec Three Hundred Mid Tower £44
CPU Cooler - If you're going to get a CPU cooler, then I recommend either this Scythe Zipang 2 with 140mm Fan £42 with some thermal compound, which you can get for £5 or this Artic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 £20 which has some preapplied which is handy.

Total: £975 (with Scythe Zipang) or £948 (with Artic Freezer)

And I have used ebuyer, their prices are pretty much unbeatable as an online retailer in the UK, but they don't tend to stock items which are high end, especially in terms of RAM and cases and PSUs, you certainly don't get as much choice at the higher end. ATM you might want to go for a retailer that doesnt use Royal Mail, with the postal strike around the corner, and ebuyer uses Royal Mail, unless you pay extra for a courier.

h11

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Thanks a lot for the replies. About using Crossfire, is it actually worth it? I know that GTA IV supports it, but is it actually worth buying the extra GPU?