slideman1187

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I have major problems with my newly upgraded PC, i've bought almost every new component:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
MSI 770 C45 motherboard
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 ram 1333Mhz CL 9-9-9-24
ASUS Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5
Cooler Master Sileo Midi tower
however i reused my PSU (500w)

First boot went fine, next time i started the computer, i made several errors at startup, eventually ended with a blue screen of death, tried all the solutions at hand, like upgrade the bios, altered the voltage to the correct amount in BIOS. when i removed one block of ram, and ran with only 2gb, it rolls smoothly, but when inserting the last one, it goes back to the errors.
I have had my motherboard and rams sent back to the vendor for troubleshooting and testing, the ram came back with no errors found, and i received a new motherboard.

Now i have reinstalled all the components, and it ran fine the first time, then the next boot, i had the same problems with bsod and other errors..

Now my question is, could all this be caused by my PSU?? is 500w not enough to run the last 2gb of ram?

This is my last option i think.. tried everything else, like reducing ram frequency etc.

Hope anyone can help me sort this out.

slideman1187

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
My PSU is a few year old Zitech PSU - HuntKey HK500-13BP 500W Power Supply

Dont know if its inadequate.. i read on some place that memory failure would be one of the first signs of inadequate power supply, and can temporarily solved by reposition a ram block or two, which sounds a bit like my problem..

1 startup - works fine, with 4gb ram.
2 startup - bsod, different errors on windows startup
3 startup - removed 2 gb ram, system works fine again
4 startup - inserted 2 gb ram again, now works properly with 4gb
5 startup - errors again
6 startup - removed 2gb again, now runs smoothly...

This procedure is how it works at the moment, 4gb runs great at the first boot, then makes errors on the next, when removed, system runs great again.

The RAM is CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 - it's specified to run on 1.5v, which i changed it to in the bios - should i increase this?

slideman1187

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Wierd... upped the ram voltage to about 1.70 now it seems to run smoothly.. even on several boots.. nice
Thanks for helping out :)

pyrolysis

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have similar problem as yours. How do you increase the ram voltage? Do you just set a higher voltage for the rams in the bios? Or do you need to mess with the rams timing and frequency?

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
to fix this, go to bios clicking "del" and go to the first option on the right hand side. now go down the list until you reach the VRAM and use the plus button to increase and the minus to decrease. this method helped me a bit but i had to lower the fsb to 1:2 for it to work

pyrolysis

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
There is no VRAM in my bios settings. I increased the DRAM Voltage but from 1.5v to 1.7v but still getting bsod. Still need to remove and reinsert my ram so that the bsod wont come. What is fsb and how do I lower it? I'm using Asus P7P55-M motherboard and 2 x 2gb Team Elite DDR3 1333hz ram.

pyrolysis

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
i5 750
Asus P7P55-M
2 x 2gb Team Elite DDR3 1333hz ram
Silverstone Strider st56f 560W
Sapphire HD 5850
Lancool K58
Samsung 500gb HDD

My rams are set to auto in the bios setting and got bsod. I increased the voltage to 1.7V and still getting bsod.

pyrolysis

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I havent tried with one stick. But each time if i shut down my pc for more than an hour. The next time i boot my windows i will get bsod. This doesnt happen if i restart my pc or turn off and turn it on again after just a few minutes. I keep getting bsod until i took out one of the ram and put it back in the same position. Then no more bsod. Even if i change the ram position. I will still get bsod if i shut down my pc for too long. And i have to removed and replaced my ram again.

emint6

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hello,
I also had the same problem with my msi 770 c45 motherboard. I increased the ram voltage to 1.67 and it works properly now. I've also put a fan in front of my ram slots which is blowing directly to the rams. Do you think that it is safe now? I think this high voltage can cause some problems. The maximum voltage for my ram is 1.72, ( Total Installed Ram : 4 X Geil 1Gb pc3 10660 1333Mhz)
Thanks