CDROM and IDE HD not working correctly

So, to start off with, I have a Soyo Dragon 2 Plus mobo. It has SATA connections as well as IDE connections. Recently, I purchased a 2 TB SATA HD and installed it on my computer, as well as a fresh copy of windows vista. That all worked fine, even the CDROM worked, because thats how the install of vista came from. After all was said and done, i hooked up 2 other IDE HD's to the computer, as well as the CDROM. The other HD's were just games and music that i had stored becasue my old HD was so small. Now i can see any of them. I look into the device manager, and i can see the CDROM, but not the other 2 hard drives. But then i go to my computer and i cannot see the CDROM in there.

Ive tried messing with the master/slave jumpers to see if maybe that would work. It didnt. I tried going into the bios and seeing if i could set up the IDE in there, but that didnt work ( right now i have it set to Pri SATA + Sec IDE)

Any help would be appricaited.
3 answers Last reply
More about cdrom working correctly
  1. So you have three IDE drives and one IDE optical drive? Two drives will be on one IDE channel, with the other two devices on the other. Jumper the IDE drive as master, put it on the very end of the cable. Jumper the optical drive as slave, and put it on the middle connector. Should work if everything still works/no dead drives.
  2. if that doesnt work, make sure everything is using CS or cable select on the jumpers. As well, swap the IDE channel that is being used for the working CDrom drive. Also, in the BIOS, make sure ALL the IDE referenced items are turned on. I have had mobos where they default some of the mobo features to off where you would guess they would be on from the start...
  3. As I read this, your new HDD is SATA and has taken over as your boot drive. You had an optical drive in there, too, but you don't say whether it is IDE or SATA. After getting that all working, you re-installed two older IDE HDD's, and now the only thing you can "see" in My Computer is the new SATA unit.

I'm guessing your optical unit is IDE also. If not - if it is a SATA unit - you should be investigating why it does or does not show up as a second SATA device WITHOUT the old IDE drives installed. AFTER you get that resolved, come back to installing the IDE drives.

BUT, assuming all three missing devices are IDE, here's how you must set things up.
    1. I assume your mobo has 2 IDE ports on it. EACH of those can have either 1 or 2 devices on the port and cable.
    2. On any IDE port, there MUST be a Master device, and this is set by a jumper on pins on the back edge. IF that port / cable has a second device, it MUST be the Slave. Same rules for the second port.
    3. Look at the ribbon cable from mobo port to the drive. It has three connectors on it. The BLUE one on one end goes to the mobo port. The BLACK one at the other end should go to the device set to Master by jumpers. The GRAY one in the middle is used for the Slave device if there is one on this port / cable.
    4. Some drives have diagrams for the jumpers that use different settings for Master with No Slave Present, and Master With Slave. Others use the same setting for Master no matter whether a Slave is present or not.
    5. Master and Slave are relevant only to the one IDE port and cable, NOT to the whole machine. So in your case with 3 IDE devices you must be using one port for two devices and one port for the third. On the port / cable that has two devices attached, the END one should be jumpered for Master (with Slave present, if that's important), and the other set to Slave.
    6. On the second port with only one device connected, it MUST be set to Master (with No Slave if that's a special setting), and should be plugged into the END of the ribbon cable.
    7. IF you have one HDD and one optical drive on one port / cable, it is recommended that the HDD be set and connected as the port Master, and the optical as Slave. This is NOT always necessary, but sometimes it's important. On the other hand, you CAN put an optical drive on an IDE port by itself as Master (it will work just fine) and put both old HDD's on the other port.
    8. In BIOS Setup, make SURE that BOTH IDE ports are Enabled.
    9. In BIOS Setup, go to where your Boot Device Priority is set. Probably you should set it so that the optical drive is the first unit tried, then the new SATA drive, and NO other devices after that.
    10. After making any changes in BIOS, don't forget to Save and Exit.

Oh yes, one more point. When setting jumpers, use the diagram on that drive only! You cannot use settings from a different drive - there is no solid "standard" for all drives.
Ask a new question

Read More

SATA Windows Vista HD Storage