Tridec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Good morning everyone,

The title says it all: "I need your help"

I think I should buy a new power supply in the near future, my current PSU is a Tagan U22 480W and I've been very pleased with this PSU, but my current system uses a lot more power then my last system.
When I bought this PSU nearly 4 years ago it was consider one of the best PSU around. It has split 12V rails each delivering 20 Amp's per rail or 30 AMP's combined, at the time that was quite impressive however nowerdays it's pretty pathetic and probably quite dangerous with my current system.

So my current system consists of the following:

CPU : Intel I7 920 ( I do overclock and I run this cpu anywhere between 2.66Ghz and 4.5Ghz, but mostly I run the CPU at 4 GHz )
MoBo: Asrock X58 Extreme
HDD: 2 x Matrox 160 GB SATA
2 x Seagate 7200.12 1TB SATA
DVD: 2 x RW and R both IDE
GFX: 1 x Ati 4870 (775 mhz, 4000mhz), I might go crossfire, but I might switch it for a newer card in the near future.
Memory: 3 x 2 GB OCZ 1333 platinum running at 7-7-7-24 at 1.66V
Sound : Club 3D theatron Agrippa
CASE: Thermatake Armor W8000 Black: This case is rather large and is windowed.
Case fans: 1 x Scythe fan controller
4 x Scythe Slipstream 1900 RPM

I hope that I haven't missed any information that you guys might need.

The situation is as follows.

I'm no longer up to date on which PSU's have the best quality so I would really like to know what you guys know. I want to have a PSU that will last a long time and will have ample room for upgrades in the future.
I do read quite a lot of reviews but most of them just tell me that the tested PSU was amazing and don't show much comparison to other PSU's, if any of you know of a good comparison review that would be highly appreciated.
I don't have a budget, but I obviously don't want to buy the most expensive PSU if I can get one at half the price that is nearly just a good. I also don't think that a 1KW+ PSU is ever needed and I highly doubt that I will ever use Tri or quad Crossfire/SLi but even then I doubt a 1KW PSU is needed. My case is also quite large and my current PSU's cables aren't quite long enough for nice cable management, so I would like a PSU with long cables, I have also seen PSU's where you only need to connect the cable to the PSU that you need, that would be quite a nice extra if it's possible. I would also really like the PSU to be quite.

Thanks in advance to everyone that read this and for your input.

Greets,

Dylan

Solution
The PSU that you are talking about is the modular PSU's, where you connect only those wires which you want. They are of the expensive type. It all depends on what you want to upgrade to. I would suggest Corsair TX750W would secure you for the future for a SLI/Crossfire setup. Otherwise TX650W or VX550W is enough for your rig now and the near future. All Corsair models starting with the prefix "HX" are modular.
The PSU that you are talking about is the modular PSU's, where you connect only those wires which you want. They are of the expensive type. It all depends on what you want to upgrade to. I would suggest Corsair TX750W would secure you for the future for a SLI/Crossfire setup. Otherwise TX650W or VX550W is enough for your rig now and the near future. All Corsair models starting with the prefix "HX" are modular.

Solution

Tridec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Thanks for the quick reply!
I think that a 550 might be a bit too small, not for now, but for in the future. I was thinking of something in the 750W range so that I have a lot of head room and keep the PSU's temp down.
I've heard that Antec PSU's are "very" good, do you think that corsair are better? And what about current Tagan PSU's?

Tridec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Thanks for the reply, I've found a few reviews on the corsair 750HX and it does indeed seem to be a great PSU, I'm just concerned about it only having one 12V rail. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Tridec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Thanks hell_storm, I looked it up and it seems the difference between a single-rail design and a multiple-rail design is how the over current protection (OCP) circuit is connected. On single-rail design there is only one OCP circuit monitoring all outputs, while on multiple-rail design there are several OCP circuits, each one monitoring a group of wires called “rails”.

Thanks for the advice Obsidian, I'll look up a few reviews on those PSU's.