astesprit

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
i have a hp dc 5850 small form factor and i am running windows 7... i would like to upgrade my computer to play games..... i play far cry 2 with no problem .... i bought gta iv and it is almost playable but is slow and the graphics settings are as low as they go.......i would appreciate any info about this issue.... my computer specs ..... amd sempron(tm) Processor LE-1250 2.20 GHz, 1g RAM (i think its capable of 4g not sure ), 32 bit, my video card is ATI RADEON 3100 if you need any more info let me know thank you

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
agree
it's an old sys
todays games are very demanding
check out phenom II or athlon II cpu's
and a 790X chipset AM3 mobo
and a 5000-series Radeon
and DDR3
and new PSU, CASE

you are looking at 600-800 depends on choices.
best to build your own, there's lots of help available. i tend to avoid the oem machines, you can build better cheaper yourself - but there's a lot to learn in the process. You need to do some research. AMD can give you lots of power for a better price.

astesprit

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

thanks for the reply ..... i understand that i would want a good processor , lots of memory , and a good graphics card...... i was looking at a eMachines ET1331G-03W comes with AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core Processor 2.7ghz 6gb ram 750gb hard drive. would this be a good start or should i start from scratch

The problem with trying to upgrade OEM machines is that the power supply is generally sized to support whatever came originally in the PC. If you get a more powerful Video card, or add RAM, or anything else along those lines, you should also consider replacing your PSU with a more powerful unit.

TRENDING THREADS