Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz really low voltages

Last response: in Overclocking
February 9, 2012 12:21:13 AM

I have just got my i5 2500k, and I am running it in a GA-Z68XP-UD4 Mobo with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ air cooler. I have set Vcore to 'Normal' and Offset (DVID in gigabytes case) of +0.000. I seem to be getting very low voltages at 100% load getting 4.5Ghz. I have attached screenshots - is this correct/normal or are the programs wrong?

Overclocked:

Idle(but still overclocked just speed stepped)

Have only done around 15mins of Prime 95 will do more, but worried that the voltages reported are too low, and may have errors.

Edit: Pictures.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 12:34:24 AM

Its designed to lower the voltage when it is at a lower usage (15% load) 1604.6 Ghz. Then your high is within the specs. Looks fine to be.
February 9, 2012 12:42:48 AM

I know that, but at 100% load isn't the voltage to low? Should I add dynamic vcore?
Related resources

Best solution

February 9, 2012 12:44:41 AM

I have my i5 2500k clocked anywhere from 4.20GHz to 4.50GHz depending on the game I'm playing. I keep the voltage anywhere from 1.20 to 1.30.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your voltage.

In fact, the lower the voltage the better (as long as everything is stable).
February 9, 2012 12:51:42 AM

Thats good, I was worried that the voltage was too low and the programs were reporting it wrong. How do I know when it is stable? What programs?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 2:13:22 AM

If you can run all the stress tests and its fine, as you did, the CPU is stable.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 2:28:39 AM

very well done mate! :D 
they are designed to overclock like champ!
all the best!
February 9, 2012 3:28:58 AM

Best answer selected by deFRAGer.
February 9, 2012 1:36:36 PM

deFRAGer said:
Thats good, I was worried that the voltage was too low and the programs were reporting it wrong. How do I know when it is stable? What programs?

The programs that are a must are...

CPU-Z - for in-depth observation of CPU/RAM activity

Prime 95 - the best stress tester out there. If your CPU can handle this, it can handle anything

Real Temp - for monitoring the temperature across all cores and the distance to t-junction max (the point where your CPU says, "to hell with you, I'm out of here")

There is also Intel Burn Test, which doesn't take quite as long as Prime95 to get a fairly accurate idea of how your CPU will hold up under stress. Still not quite as good as Prime95.

All above programs are free.

When you can run Prime95 for a solid 60 minutes without your CPU overheating and/or shutting down, you know you're good. There are people who do it longer (even keeping it running overnight), but they are idiots if they do it with gaming in mind, seeing as how gaming will never in a million years stress your CPU the way Prime95 will. All they are doing is putting unnecessary wear on their CPU for nothing. Run it for an hour and don't listen to anyone who tells you to run it longer.
!