The build from Hades (1)

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

Yep. Boggles my brain, but it's now working ... the build from Hades.

KIT:

AMD_Phenom 965
MSI_790-gd70
BFG_9800 gtx+ / Hanns 28" LCD
500-Gb Segate SATA / 4-Gb Crucial 1333
Asus 650.W
legacy full-tower case

Making a long-story short, I mis.installed the CPU & bent-pins extracting. Took galpal & me 2-days under a magnifier to re.straighten them with dental-tools, needles & plastic shims of various ilk. You don't want to know ....

Anyrate the CPU finally dropped-in !!! After a breadboard post and HW reinstall into case, the BIOS < v-1.4 > comes up missing an 80-G Seagate IDE Hdd. BIOS properly reports both SATA BlueRay & SATA HDD & all else. WE felt lucky ... so pushed on with an UBUNTU_9.04 install . After a MEMTEST86 run, the option appears to install Ubuntu in either the 500-G SATA or the 80-G IDE !

I almost fell off the chair. How can Ubuntu know what the BIOS does not ? Anyrate we optimistically pushed-on, installing U_9.04 without issue into the 500-G SATA until the final reboot ... when UP-pops a GRUB cannot.boot. error. RATS!

At that point galpal in a fury ripped open the case and yanked-off the IDE connections. We reinstalled UBUNTU and were greeted with a successful reboot into the OS splash screen. New software versions DLoaded from the web without issue. It cruises very impressively, the Hanns is gorgeous

But ... the question remains: WHY did BIOS refuse to "see" the HDD while Ubuntu found it ? Why the GRUB.boot error until the IDE_HDD was removed ?

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

We are aware of that technique and HAD such a mechanical tip. The technique carries its own risks, and will not serve to (initially) straighten a badly bent pin in a densely populated chip-face. We chose otherwise.

Old less densely populated chip-faces allow methods that don't work on a chip like the amd-965. It's certainly a scramble whatever you try.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

The Seagate site listed< no jumper installed > as the MASTER-set for my 7200/80-G IDE HDD. I was/am not aware that an < IDE-controller-enable > function must be set in the MSI_BIOS. The BIOS did explicitly state that no IDE_HDD was installed -- & I've never had to make such a BIOS entry before.

But, you may be right. The MSI_discussion of basic BIOS functions is absent from the mobo manual. If you will point-me to the BIOS-entry I'd appreciate it.