Sign in with
Your question

ASUS dual channel configuration

Last response: in Motherboards
April 11, 2010 8:37:29 PM

Hey guys,

I've noticed this line in the manual of a couple different ASUS boards:

"You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single channel operation."

Has anyone done tried this on recent asus boards? Sounds to me like you can put 3 DIMMs in, and get dual channel on 2 of them and single channel on the rest.

More about : asus dual channel configuration

April 11, 2010 9:21:06 PM

Sounds like you could... but why?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 302 V Motherboard
April 12, 2010 12:15:36 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Yeah, you can install 3 stick of RAM, two of the will run in dual-channel, and the other one will run in single-channel, but this affect the performance of the rig. That's why the RAM is usually install in pairs of 4GB, 8GB or 6GB (tri-channel)
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2010 12:15:51 AM

because 4 GB dual channel < 4 GB dual channel + 2 GB single channel?

Has anybody actually tried this?
m
l
April 12, 2010 12:18:53 AM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Yeah, you can install 3 stick of RAM, two of the will run in dual-channel, and the other one will run in single-channel, but this affect the performance of the rig. That's why the RAM is usually install in pairs of 4GB, 8GB or 6GB (tri-channel)

Why would this affect performance? I mean obviously it wouldn't be as fast has having 4 sticks all in dual channel, but I only have 3 good sticks at the moment. If 2 of them are running dual channel, I would think having any extra memory in single channel would still be better than going to the hard drive.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 302 V Motherboard
April 12, 2010 12:33:31 AM

From here

Dual-channel-enabled memory controllers utilize two 64-bit data channels, resulting in a 128-bit data path, in single channel only will 64-bit, that is less "speed".

Under the single-channel architecture, any CPU with a bus speed greater than the memory speed would be susceptible to bottleneck effect
m
l
April 12, 2010 12:55:50 AM

but 2 of the sticks would be running dual channel mode. It would only be the single dimm (that wouldn't otherwise be there) that would be running single channel mode. But that is still faster than the hard drive...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 302 V Motherboard
April 12, 2010 1:07:47 AM

^Yeah, only one stick will run in single channel.
m
l
!