computer driving me nuts aarrrggghhh!!!!!

hi folks - ive had a problem for a few weeks now where my
computer will halt itself for approx 20seconds for no
apparent reason, everytime i reboot the system windows xp
runs scandisk removes and tries to recover files the
reboots again loading into windows.Every now and then
when i boot the system it says :Windows could not start
because the following file is missing or
corrupt:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\.. why is it doing this
does anybody know. i have reinstalled windows
professional so many times now getting really fed up.
i have:
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL
GIGABYTE K8VNXP MOTHERBOARD
AMD64 3000
1GIG RAM
2 X WESTERN DIGITAL 120GIG SATA HARD DRIVES (MIRRORED AT
240GIG)
SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS SOUND CARD
RADEON 9800XT GRAPHICS
1 X DVD PLAYER
1 X PIONEER 105 WRITER
1 X PIONEER 107 WRITER

IF ANYONE CAN HELP IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

THANKS
Simon Holmes
1 answer Last reply
More about computer driving nuts aarrrggghhh

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Note: you should always be well backed up before running an application of
    this type.

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
    third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
    you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
    figure out what is going on.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
    up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "simon holmes" <simon@holmes2730.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > hi folks - ive had a problem for a few weeks now where my
    > computer will halt itself for approx 20seconds for no
    > apparent reason, everytime i reboot the system windows xp
    > runs scandisk removes and tries to recover files the
    > reboots again loading into windows.Every now and then
    > when i boot the system it says :Windows could not start
    > because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\.. why is it doing this
    > does anybody know. i have reinstalled windows
    > professional so many times now getting really fed up.
    > i have:
    > WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL
    > GIGABYTE K8VNXP MOTHERBOARD
    > AMD64 3000
    > 1GIG RAM
    > 2 X WESTERN DIGITAL 120GIG SATA HARD DRIVES (MIRRORED AT
    > 240GIG)
    > SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS SOUND CARD
    > RADEON 9800XT GRAPHICS
    > 1 X DVD PLAYER
    > 1 X PIONEER 105 WRITER
    > 1 X PIONEER 107 WRITER
    >
    > IF ANYONE CAN HELP IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED
    >
    > THANKS
    > Simon Holmes

Configuration Computers Windows XP