Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2009 8:13:07 PM

I have a Dell Precision M4300 notebook with an nvidia quadro FX360m with 512 mb memory. The ms win7 upgrade site says that my graphics card will not allow me to run the Aero video feature. What is lacking in my card that makes it unable to work with Win7 graphics?
I've checked Dell and they said there is no video upgrade for the notebook.
I'd really appreciate any help.
tia
ron

More about : windows

October 29, 2009 8:24:38 PM

revron_49 said:
I have a Dell Precision M4300 notebook with an nvidia quadro FX360m with 512 mb memory. The ms win7 upgrade site says that my graphics card will not allow me to run the Aero video feature. What is lacking in my card that makes it unable to work with Win7 graphics?
I've checked Dell and they said there is no video upgrade for the notebook.
I'd really appreciate any help.
tia
ron

Are you running XP or Vista? If running Vista, is Aero running on it? Perhaps your GPU just wasn't recognized. I would think that if it runs Aero in Vista, it will run in Win 7 just fine.
m
l
October 29, 2009 8:33:25 PM

sparky13 said:
Are you running XP or Vista? If running Vista, is Aero running on it? Perhaps your GPU just wasn't recognized. I would think that if it runs Aero in Vista, it will run in Win 7 just fine.

sparky13,
Sorry I left it out. I'm still running XP, 32bit.
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2009 12:47:18 PM

Hmm. I tried to find some more info on your particular notebook in regards to Win 7 but couldn't. I would say just do a clean install and see what happens. Even without Aero support Windows 7 should still run well on your system I would think. Good luck.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 5:56:51 PM

I have a Dell Precision M4300 too, Win7 runs fine with aero activated BUT it has only 3.5 point of rating on video card.
m
l
November 17, 2009 7:47:24 PM

Thanks. I double checked and found that my video driver had disappeared when checked by Win7. When I reloaded it, Win7
did find it. I amro not sure whether Aero is working. How can you tell?
m
l
November 17, 2009 7:53:24 PM

aero is just a transparency on window borders and the taskbar... if you open up a window with an aero color scheme enabled you can see through the border of the window to whatever is behind it. Flip-3D is another part of it that lets you go through windows like OS-X. to use it just hit the windows key and tab
m
l
November 19, 2009 12:42:14 AM

Under the performance rating your laptop must score 3 or more for Aero to be automatically activated. If its lower it can be 'forced' on by several methods however if it has scored less than 3 this may lower performance...
m
l
!