Obligatory post about OC temperatures for I5 2500k

superjonesy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Greetings,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster so please take it easy on me.

I have done an extensive amount of reading prior to this endeavor and I feel more confident than ever before
when it comes to computers. However, my inexperience leads me to doubt my own testing and/or methodology.

I believe my system is stable due to the testing I have done, but as this is my first build ever, I guess you could
say I am looking for some peer review.

First, my specs:

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Intel Core I5 2500k Sandy Bridge
Corsair H80 Water Cooler (Push/Pull intake)
16gb Corsair Vengeance 4x4gb DDR3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24
OCZ Vertex3 SSD (Boot Drive)
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm (Data Drive)
Asus Black 12x BluRay Writer
XFX Double D HD7970 Black Edition 1000mhz 3GB
OCZ Z Series Gold 1000w PSU
Cooler Master HAF-X (with optional 2nd top 200mm exhaust fan)

Second, my overclocking results and testing methodology.

I am currently stable at 5.0ghz @ 1.365vCore. http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2239800

I am Prime95 stable for 6 hours. I am LinX stable for 3 hours using 60% of available memory. I am 3dMark11 stable.
I have worked with large vector art in Adobe Illustrator, including 3D rendering of extruded shapes.
I am Battlefield 3 stable.

Third, my temperatures as recorded with HW Monitor.

Ambient: 22C
CPU Idle: 35-38C
CPU Load: 68-71C

I ask of the congregation the age old question: Are my temperatures OK?

Can I sustain this without fear of damaging my components?
Should I return my Corsair H80 and get the H100?

I am looking to have the most stable, high performance overclock I can get. I am a professional graphic designer and hardcore gamer, I require a top end PC.

Suggestions to complete my build?

Solution
your temps are awesome for a 5.0 OC! I would have no problem running my system at those temps 24/7!

Remember, if your ambient temps rise, your cpu temps will rise as well.

I have the H100 and if you upgrade you will probably get a few degrees cooler than with the H80 especially if you use a push/pull fan configuration. It will be even cooler if you pull air in from outside of the case.

If you are looking to get the best temps you can, upgrade to the H100. It may even allow you to get to 5.1 or 5.2!

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
your temps are awesome for a 5.0 OC! I would have no problem running my system at those temps 24/7!

Remember, if your ambient temps rise, your cpu temps will rise as well.

I have the H100 and if you upgrade you will probably get a few degrees cooler than with the H80 especially if you use a push/pull fan configuration. It will be even cooler if you pull air in from outside of the case.

If you are looking to get the best temps you can, upgrade to the H100. It may even allow you to get to 5.1 or 5.2!

Solution