Sign in with
Your question

Low FPS in World of Warcraft

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2009 10:41:35 PM

Hi, I have been having issues with low fps in world of warcraft, especially raids and major cities. Today so bad that my screen just does freezing jerks and it took me 5 minutes to get out of a building in Dalaran.

My current spec is:

<<< System Summary >>>
> Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard Company
> Mainboard : Asus NODUSM3
> Chipset : nVidia nForce 410
> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2200 MHz
> Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR2-SDRAM )
> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (160 GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D
> Monitor Type : LCD-MONITOR - 19 inches
> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
> DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2006)

I understand to achieve higher fps that I must get more RAM and a better graphics card. Due to my limited funds I can only afford to get 1 at the current time and was wondering which 1 would benefit me more, either a better graphics card such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't know if that particular one is available in the UK where I live or if it's compatible with my computer or if it's the right 1 for me.

I am on a limited budget and would like some advice of which to get first either RAM or graphics card, which graphics card, and if that graphics card is compatible with my computer.

Thanks in advance.

More about : low fps world warcraft

October 30, 2009 1:00:02 AM

get more ram and upgrade xp to sp3 then try to find gpu in budget, such as a 4650 (GDDR3/DDR3)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 14, 2009 8:21:24 PM

I would recommend getting another Nividea Graphics card of the 200 series. You dont have to get the top of the line but the new graphics card should help out as long as you have a fast enough internet to keep up in 25 man raids. You can also go in to the video options on the game and select or deselect some of the options to improve your input speed or decrease the lag.

RAM is good but if your running a 32 bit processor then I think the PCI-E Nividea Graphics card will do a lot more for ya. I would get something that has at least 1Gb of DDR3 or higher.

The cheapest thing you can do is go buy some RAM right now as two sticks of 2 Gb is not that expensive since the market is a little flooded but this will not last much longer. Chip makers are starting to go back to full production and the ones left will not be flooding the markets again.

Hope this helps

Brad
Related resources
a c 201 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 14, 2009 8:48:17 PM

What resolution do you play at? How low are your FPS? Are they consistently low or do they plummet when more objects come onto screen? If they drop the more people that are around it is more likely a CPU limitation than a GPU limitation. Moving up to atleast 2 GB of ram will help, and a CPU upgrade certainly couldnt hurt.
November 14, 2009 8:57:51 PM

that game will gradually waste one's real world tallents.

Bye. Sorry

However if you are on a budget try looking for a good value ati card, for around what ever you have to spend. Now ATI have the best graphics cards around, maybe in the future nvidia will come out with something better. Ok GTX 295 is still better than ati 5870 but when you concider it's a dual card then that says everything about it and it's power consumption is much much more.
November 15, 2009 2:19:02 AM

You need gpu, cpu, and ram upgrades really, but since cities and raids are giving you the most trouble try this - When you are in a busy city, try lowering the video resolution, if the fps improves noticeably, get a video card first. If the fps stays about the same, upgrade the cpu and/or ram.

Your system takes PCI-E type gpu ($60-80 US for a good card), DDR2 PC2 5300 non-ecc type ram ($20 US for 1 GB), Athlon X2 cpu - with bios update most am2 boards can take at least an Athlon X2 6000 89w ($60 US), if you are not comfortable doing a bios update, it's best to stick to X2 5000 as that's what HP suggests.

The full spec for your mb,
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=e...

You can overclock the cpu, gpu, and memory of a HP that has nVidia chipset with this, free performance boost,the download link is 2/3 down the page just below where it says select download location.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-System-Tools-6.05-do...

!