Sign in with
Your question

Several RAID0 arrays, stripe sizes?

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2011 4:59:27 PM

Hello,

I am building a fairly well spec'd PC/server (i7-2600k, Asus P8Z68-V Pro, 16GB 1600mhz DDR3, 2x GTX570s) and will be employing about 7.128TB of storage space over 3 RAID arrays.

The plan is to have:

2x 64GB Crucial M4 SSD's in RAID0 (for OS and Apps)
2x 1.5TB HDD's in RAID0 (Games & local media)
2x 2TB HDD's in RAID0 (Shared network media)

Now, is it actually possible to setup 3 RAID arrays on the same motherboard? I have a feeling it is, but I've only ever setup 1 RAID array before...

Next, stripe sizes. The first two arrays are going to be filled with small files that are repeatedly accessed, so am I right in thinking I want a small stripe size i.e. 4kb?. The final array is going to be filled with large HD video files i.e. 2GB+ so I want a much larger stripe size, i.e. 2048kb...

Are these values the best for performance of the drives?
a c 523 G Storage
September 2, 2011 5:17:33 PM

Yes, you can have 3 seperate RAID-0 arrays with that motherboard.

If any drive fails within an array you will lose all data in that particular array; so I would suggest you have another separate 2TB or 3TB external (or internal) drive that you use exclusively for backup purposes.

Different motherboards have different stripe sizes available, so you will have to see what's available with your board. I can only select 64kb or 128kb with my Gigabyte board. I did not notice any real-world performance difference between the 2 stripe sizes.

!