Help with graphic card upgrade.

I need some advice about upgrading my video cards. I currently have two 8800 GTS 512 SLI and while a feel they are still very powerful, i wonder if upgrading to a newer card will bring some significant improvement.

Should i upgrade them? and if so, which one should i get?

Thanks for the help.
14 answers Last reply
More about help graphic card upgrade
  1. Whats your budget?

What is your current configuration? (cpu, ram, power supply, etc...)

Those two cards you have should make most games playable quite nicely. I do need to know what else you are running and what games/res you intend to play to make an educated suggestion...
  2. I've got the same setup and have had the itch to upgrade, but when I look at charts, I feel like I should hold off a bit and wait for a more significant upgrade.
  3. Thats my initial thought on this as well since two of these cards SLI'd give a medium high performance for gaming I can't find a good reason to upgrade other than less power draw and heat issues that plagues the 8000 series cards...
  4. Quote:
    This is the best deal I've found on the 5870.... everywhere else is sold out!

STOP SPAMING YOUR GRAPHIC CARD :fou: its a rip off price anyway and there are plenty out there to buy in stock for $350-$370 dollers
  5. :pfff:

Quote:
    This is the best deal I've found on the 5870.... everywhere else is sold out!

Shame on you... :non:

I don't see any in stock anywhere at the moment but thats beside the point. You don't "need" this card anyway. This isn't the fix for your issues. Anyone that posts a 400.00 video card when someone asks if they should buy a new cpu OR a video card isn't in the market for a 400.00 video card and would be much better off buying a 200.00 cpu and a 200.00 video card, at least in his case anyway, is spamming his own card for sale. On Ebay? Please...
  6. Here's what i have on my machine.

EVGA 780i mobo - q6600 - 8GB RAM - 800 watt PSU - Windows 7 64 bit.

I would like to keep it under $400 if at all possible, but willing to go up if the improvement is really substantial.

thanks for the replies
  7. sumlit said:
    Here's what i have on my machine.

EVGA 780i mobo - q6600 - 8GB RAM - 800 watt PSU - Windows 7 64 bit.

I would like to keep it under $400 if at all possible, but willing to go up if the improvement is really substantial.

thanks for the replies

I'd definitely get a 5850 or even a 5870-- if you can find one under 400. And you should overclock your CPU to avoid potential bottlenecks.

Cheers.
  8. In about 18 months pci-e 3.0 is supposed to come out. All things being equal it's 2x as fast as the current 2.0.

You can certainly spend a lot of money and get an improvement now, but maybe you should hold off for a couple of years and then get something really fast. Keep in mind you would have to get a whole new system or replace a lot of the parts. Just something to consider.
  9. KidHorn said:
    In about 18 months pci-e 3.0 is supposed to come out. All things being equal it's 2x as fast as the current 2.0.

You can certainly spend a lot of money and get an improvement now, but maybe you should hold off for a couple of years and then get something really fast. Keep in mind you would have to get a whole new system or replace a lot of the parts. Just something to consider.

Hold off for a couple of years? LOL :lol: There will ALWAYS be something better a couple of years later... Maybe you should wait forever and never upgrade anything?
  10. Two 8800GTS 512 equal about the same performance (or a little above) as one GTX 285. You don't need to upgrade really. I would wait until NVidia releases their new series, even though it may be a while. Regardless, even if it sucks, ATi prices will probably see a decrease. That is unless it's really bad, they may stay the same, but we'll assume the former. ;)
  11. Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to stay with my 2 cards for a while longer and see what the future holds. In any case, i'll probably be back here asking the same question after 6 months.

thanks to all.
  12. @sirkillalot & englandr753, lets not help the troll rip off fellow members eh. ;)
  13. MARSOC_Operator said:
    Hold off for a couple of years? LOL :lol: There will ALWAYS be something better a couple of years later... Maybe you should wait forever and never upgrade anything?

I understand what you're saying, but he has something pretty decent right now and it's not asking too much to live with it for a while longer. In theory, the difference in performance isn't going to be the typical two cycles of video card upgrades, it's going to be huge. I expect video gains up towards 5x faster when taking into account technical advancements in addition to a much faster bus.
  14. Mousemonkey said:
    @sirkillalot & englandr753, lets not help the troll rip off fellow members eh. ;)

CHEERS to the mousemonkey! I'm glad you took out the troll, lol!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Graphics