Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 version question for new build

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2009 10:33:15 PM

have reviewed the differences between premium, professional and ultimate

don't need ultimate, but am trying to figure out if I need XP mode which is the main difference (for my purposes) between premium and professional. I have not used Vista (currently on xp) however it sounds handy to know that all my xp progs will work in win 7 with xp mode....but then again I don't use too many weird programs...

I guess my question is 'do most users need xp mode or is it just a nice to have?'

What is the rest of the board doing?
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2009 10:36:59 PM

I run Windows 7 on two home computers and have never had a need for XP Mode. All my applications and hardware run just fine on Windows 7.
m
l
October 19, 2009 10:41:32 PM

thanks for the feedback...I'm thinking I use pretty common progs so prob don't need it...

it would be great to hear of anyone who does use xp mode, and if so, for what programs...
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2009 10:43:18 PM

Ask yourself

1. Are there actually any programs I plan to use that will only work under XP? IE proprietary/custom software or extremely old software.

2. Do I already have XP and am i too lazy to have a dual boot?

3. Do I not know a student in college who can get me win 7 pro for $30? (same price as home premium)

edit: Link to $30 win 7. When you click to add win 7 to cart, look for a little popup that asks do you need to connect to your school network? and click on that for pro for the same price.

http://www.win741.com/
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2009 11:21:22 PM

One of the reasons I have never wanted vista is that I use expensive software that will only run under XP . Im looking forward to transfering my xp license to a w7 installation .

But unless you have specific apps that cannot run under vista/7 its one of those things thats nice to have but definitely not essential IMO
m
l
!