My first gaming PC (tentative parts) - Any comments?

crone

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
So I am finally going to set aside my 6.5 year-old Pentium 4 PC which was homebuilt but was not a gaming PC (only had a 64mb GeForceFX video card)...

With all the great games coming out soon I've decided to build my first gaming PC (technically I am cheating as I am using a website that builds it for you but I am doing this for $$$ reasons as it is actually cheaper than building yourself + buying the Windows 7 license).

I am planning on purchasing in November..I am waiting to see if prices drop around black friday before I jump the gun so here are my tentative specs. Any comments or help would be appreciative as the last time I was in the market the Pentium 4 was top of the line =).

CPU: Intel i7-920
Motherboard: Asus P6T SE
Video: Radeon 5770 (I know I can do better but at the moment this is fine and I can upgrade to a better card in 2 years or so as needed...this is all I can afford given my budget and I really want to get into the i7-9xx series family so that maybe in a few years I can upgrade to hex-core or beyond)
Memory: 6 GB (2x3GB) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 (corsair brand probably..not dominator)
PSU: CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power (800 watts)
Hard drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Notes:
1) I do not plan to need SLI or CrossFire
2) I do not plan on overclocking but I do plan to upgrade my CPU and/or GPU as needed in a few years (I am looking at you Doom 4).

thanks

Solution
I would not use a CyberPowerPC PSU, that is likely where they cut their corners. If you arent planning on SLI or crossfire then consider an LGA 1156 build as the primary advantage of LGA 1366 over LGA 1156 is the extra PCI-E lanes from the X58 chipset. P55 boards cost less, and you can drop the PSU down to a good 650 and have no problem with any single card setup. Whats the price on that build? What will you be using it for other than gaming and at what resolution?

crone

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
You are right... the CyberPowerPC PSU is cheap. It actually costs $28 more to "upgrade" to a Corsair 650 watt. What could go wrong with a cheap PSU? Do I have any idea what wattage I need for single card setups? ...note that I may upgrade to a year 2011/2012 midrange cpu/videocard prolly when Doom 4 comes out.

The price right now (including windows 7 and case/fan/etc.) is ~$1050.

I plan to just browse web/ etc. and game at 1920x1080

Also the reason I want the 1366 is so I can have a longer-lasting upgrade-future (i9's etc..)

thanks for all the help

Solution

crone

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Oh man... thats some scary stuff. I think you sold me on the corsair 650. thanks

TRENDING THREADS