Sign in with
Your question

Set up Raid 0 on HDD, boot from single SSD

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2011 11:18:30 PM

I was upgrading my motherboard and decided I was going to add an SSD to my storeage mix by adding a SSD drive for boot. I already have 2 HDD in raid 0 and it has windows. I have instaled windows 7 to my SSD with my new MOBO and it works fine, but If I plug in my sata drives and change the bios to raid, it wont boot.
My problem in a nut shell is how can I keep everything in my raid setup and use the SSD as a boot disk?
I want to keep the SSD in trim mode.
Gigabyte Ga-900FXA-UD3 latest bio
Crucial M4 SSD 64G
500GB HDD x2
a c 523 G Storage
September 3, 2011 12:10:24 AM

If you installed Windows on your SSD in IDE mode instead of AHCI that is why it will not boot when you changed the mode to RAID.

Disconnect your RAID drives.
Change your SATA mode to IDE and boot into Windows.
Follow the instructions on this link to edit the Windows Registry file: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...
Reboot into BIOS after the Windows Registry fix and change the SATA mode to AHCI.
Save your settings and boot into Windows.
Shut down your pc and connect your RAID drives.
Change your SATA mode to RAID.
Make sure your SSD is the 1st boot drive in BIOS.
m
l
September 3, 2011 6:23:35 AM

Dereck47 said:
If you installed Windows on your SSD in IDE mode instead of AHCI that is why it will not boot when you changed the mode to RAID.

Disconnect your RAID drives.
Change your SATA mode to IDE and boot into Windows.
Follow the instructions on this link to edit the Windows Registry file: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...
Reboot into BIOS after the Windows Registry fix and change the SATA mode to AHCI.
Shut down your pc and connect your RAID drives.
Change your SATA mode to RAID.
Make sure your SSD is the 1st boot drive in BIOS.

as soon as I set it to raid, windows refuses to boot. I made sure it booted from the SSD and not the raided drive, but it would get to the 'loading windows' screen than auto reboot.
I have it set to raid but I can change it to 'as sata type' or 'ide', both fail to boot.
DO I have reset the raid settings somewhere? BIOS sees the HDD in raid as long as I have 'raid' selected
m
l
!