3DFX have a wonderful product range and will never go under or sell out to the highest bidder.
tongue.gif

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
my first video card was a radeon 7200... i was 11 and that's when i discovered the beauty of electronics

i was able to play max payne at a stable 30fps even in the most hectic scenes

now i can only play it at an unstable 6000 fps on my 4850.... i can't wait until ati's next 7000 series

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Ahhhh, my first discrete GPU, VooDoo 3 2000 (I think it had 16Mb ram).

I also had a VooDoo 5 at one point, it was actually quite a good card.

sparky13

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

That was my first graphics card too! I accidently bought the AGP version and had to return it when I realized my PC didn't have an AGP slot when I got home. I also picked up Half Life the same day not knowing really what to expect. I still don't think there's been a gaming experience since that has compared to the 'awe' of taking that first tram ride through Black Mesa. Memoooriees..... :love:

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Decisions decisions what to wait for
Voodoo 4
Geforce 2
Radeon
or wait for
Directx 8
I don't think imma need 64mb of ram from what i hear some will have it.
currently im running a 2 voodoo2 in sli cost me my left nut
I mostly play quake so i need the high frame rate

Sweeet!, you have a great future with that company and are assured long employment and a wonderful pension when you retire.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

DirectX will never take off.
OpenGL is the clear standard of the future.

notty22

Distinguished
My dad had a couple thousand he wanted to play the stock market with back in 1999. I told him these graphic card/chip makers were big up and comers. Especially with oem conttracts and a new version of windows coming.........I told him about nvdia, 3dfx......THANK GODS Nvidia investing numbers looked better more promising back then. Because NV went on where that 7,000 worth of stock turned in to about 19 for him, but if he had stayed in 1 more month, it would have been 35,000. They took off incredibly in one faithful week. 3dfx stock ending up going down to single digits.

willisbj

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
hahaha, awesome thread :)

My first GPU was an 8mb Rendition Verite 2200. I also had a 2.1 speaker system and a 17" SVGA CRT!!! I was about 12, and the envy of all my PC gamer friends ...

Running Half-life, Descent, Quake 1&2, Jedi Knight, Tomb Raider; all at 800x600 instead of 640x480 (like those lowly enough to use the 3Dfx Voodoo 1 had to endure lol), the joys of bilinear filtering ... sweet sweet days. But I missed Glide support for games like the original Turok.

And not long after my purchase, the Riva TNT came out and pooped over everything else out. Remember how different the graphics were on different GPU's in those days. Hilarious :)