Sign in with
Your question

Can't print from Command Prompt

Last response: in Windows XP
April 8, 2012 2:03:05 PM

Can't print to LPT1 from a command prompt. I have an HP Deskjet 722C hooked straight up to the computer via a standard parallel printer cable (DB25 to Centronics) to the machine's parallel port. OS is XP Pro on a single user system with no network involved. For example, I load a file in DOS EDIT, go to File, Print, Print to LPT1, and it acts as if it printed but the printer doesn't respond. I can however print straight from any windows app with no problem. No other printer is directed to the LPT port(s). Tried the NET USE command (which I am quite familiar with) to redirect LPT1 to itself, no use. Deleted and let Win XP re-install the printer's driver, no use. Went into the machine's BIOS and tried every combination of EPP, ECP, etc., to no avail. The only logged in user to this machine has administrator rights.

What am I missing?

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!
Don
dmzman@gmail.com

More about : print command prompt

April 8, 2012 8:56:34 PM

DMZMAN said:
Can't print to LPT1 from a command prompt. I have an HP Deskjet 722C hooked straight up to the computer via a standard parallel printer cable (DB25 to Centronics) to the machine's parallel port. OS is XP Pro on a single user system with no network involved. For example, I load a file in DOS EDIT, go to File, Print, Print to LPT1, and it acts as if it printed but the printer doesn't respond. I can however print straight from any windows app with no problem. No other printer is directed to the LPT port(s). Tried the NET USE command (which I am quite familiar with) to redirect LPT1 to itself, no use. Deleted and let Win XP re-install the printer's driver, no use. Went into the machine's BIOS and tried every combination of EPP, ECP, etc., to no avail. The only logged in user to this machine has administrator rights.

What am I missing?

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!
Don
dmzman@gmail.com

Your config is vanilla, and should not have a problem !
does the redirect > lpt1 work or the print comand /d:lpt1 ?
m
l
April 8, 2012 9:21:54 PM

ksiemb said:
Your config is vanilla, and should not have a problem !
does the redirect > lpt1 work or the print comand /d:lpt1 ?

Been there, tried that. In fact, that's what I've been really trying to do in the 1st place.

You're absolutely right! I should not have a problem.

C:\>PRINT EXPRESS.PRN >LPT1 yields
C:\ EXPRESS.PRN is currently being printed, but printer still does not respond.
Same if I try a plain vanilla TXT file.

TYPE C:\EXPRESS.PRN >LPT1 just returns me to a C prompt.
m
l
!